25-15 Steinway Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This small, cheaply built theatre (by the architectural firm of Phinean & Zolat) first opened in 1941 and was located at the very top of the Steinway Street shopping area, not far from its intersection with Grand Central Parkway. The Cameo Theatre was on the opposite side of Steinway Street from its nearest and much larger competitors, Loew’s Triboro Theatre and the Skouras Astoria Theatre.
The Cameo Theatre played last-run of all the theatres in the Astoria section of Queens, with program changes several times per week. To cater to Astoria’s large immigrant population, the theatre later started showing Greek and other foreign-made movies under the new name of the Olympia Theatre. When that failed, the Olympia switched to XXX porno before finally being closed due to complaints from Astoria’s many churches and religious groups.
The building was converted into stores, with residential apartments above. In more recent years it has been converted into a medical centre, with offices.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater