1450 East Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Built in 1939 for the once-thriving Parkchester neighborhood of the Bronx, Loew’s American Theater was opened on December 26, 1940. The American Theater eventually fell on hard times.
After years of neglect, the theater was purchased by Stewart Epstein, who turned the dilapidated movie house into a 1,400-seat multiplex.
The current layout is as follows:
The orchestra level has a dividing wall right down the middle. In each of the two auditoriums, the back quarter has been walled off creating two more, totaling four downstairs. Two seat approximately 380 each; two seat approximately 80 each. The balcony was also twinned – one side seats approximately 250. The other side was divided again creating two auditoriums, each seating 105.
The renovated theater won’t solve the Bronx’s ongoing financial woes, but for now, it has brought the movies back to Parkchester. It was taken over by Bow-Tie Cinemas in April 2008 and further renovations were carried out. It was closed in September 2013 when Bow Tie’s lease ran out and the buildings' owners plan ‘other uses’ rather than movie theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater