1 Ormonde Parade,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Theatre opened on 4th August 1937, with 1,854 seats. Noted for its large size and Art Deco style atmosphere, the Savoy Theatre was the most popular movie house in Sydney’s south. It featured a 2Manual/10Ranks Wurlitzer pipe organ which was opened by organist Knight Barnett. The instrument had previously been installed in the Kings Cross Theatre, Sydney. Other organists who played this organ were Paul Cullen, Barrie Brettoner. The Savoy Theatre had a fully fitted stage and flytower. Although only small, the stage was big enough for the few novely acts that played there during the war years. It was taken over by the Hoyts Theatres chain in March 1944.
The Wurlitzer organ was removed in 1958, and was installed in the Congregational Church, Burwood. The Savoy Theatre was closed by Hoyts on 4th November 1972 with Jane Fonda & Donald Sutherland in “Klute”.
It was derelict until 23rd March 1975, when it was re-opened after being restored by Mecca Theatres. A theatre organ was re-instated, a large top of the range Allen organ was used there in the 1980’s onwards. The name of the theatre was changed to Mecca-Savoy Theatre, but it eventually became known as just Mecca Theatre.
The theatre was closed down in 1990 and the property sold for condos. It was demolished in 1995.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater