42 Boulevard Bonne Nouvelle,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located diagonally across the boulevard from the Grand Rex cinema. At the beginning of the 20th century the Boulvardia was a ‘concert cafe’ of the Grand Boulevard and like many theatres and show places of the district it converted to cinema use, opening as the Cinema Palace in February 1907. All seating was on a single level. It was equipped to show talkies around the early-1930’s.
By 1946, it had been re-named Boulvardia and in the 1950’s it became the Amiral. In the 1960’s the Amiral Boulvardia had a policy of first run B movies like westerns and spy movies. It was part of a chain with two other cinemas, the Saint Antoine and the Cigale.
The titles of the movies that were shown here made in Italy were partly copying American hits, for instance, “The Battle of Navaronne” with Maria Monroe. Also some popular westerns called “Trinita” had amazing success (6,000 tickets sold each week for a 200 seat auditorium).
Frescoes of the monuments of Paris (like the Eiffel Tower and the Moulin Rouge) on the walls of the theatre with red neons give it an original atmosphere.
Unfortunately, after a renovation in the 1970’s style with carpeted walls and modern seats, from 1975 it was re-named Brooklyn, and became an adult movie theatre, screen movies such as “The Story of O”. The Brooklyn was still open as a pornographic cinema in 1993, but was closed soon after..
Dark for a long time, it was converted to the second screen of the Cinematheque Francaise after a renovation in 1997. Faithful patrons give new life to this theatre which escaped the fall of the Grand Boulevard.
The Cinematheque Francaise Grand Boulevard was re-named Cinema Du Monde, but was closed in 2007. It is now in use as the Comedy Club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater