John W. Engeman Theater
250 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located at 250 Main Street, the Northport Theater opened in 1932, replacing the earlier Northport Theatre at 256 Main Street which had been destroyed by fire. It was renopvated in 1950 to the plans of architects John Eberson & Drew Eberson. It was restored in 1999 (after a severe attack of after-hours vandalism in 1997). The theater featured 520 floor seats plus 85 in the balcony. Home to a stage, wall tapestries, murals, and a marble ticket counter, the theater was closed as a “political statement” on January 22, 2003, the day after the Long Island town of Lindenhurst passed a resolution to condemn the owner’s other Suffolk County theater, the Lindenhurst Theater (located about 20 miles away).
A not-for-profit organization, the Northport Performing Arts Center, acquired and modified the theater for use as a live venue, and it is now the John W. Engeman Theater. The seating capacity is now 400.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater