5243 N. Clark Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The LeGrand Theatre opened in 1910 for the Gumbiner Brothers circuit. It was located on N. Clark Street at W. Farragut Avenue in the Andersonville neighborhood. In addition to motion pictures, the LeGrand Theatre originally featured vaudeville and other live performances. The theatre was renamed Acme Theatre in 1918 and closed two years later. In 1924, the theatre reopened as the Temple Theatre, with a movies-only policy. It closed in 1938. After closing, the building was converted into a retail store, as it remained for many years.
In the mid-1970’s, the space was taken over by the experimental filmmakers group Filmgroup at NAME Gallery, which later became known as Chicago Filmmakers. Besides serving as a venue for screening independent films and videos (including festivals, thematic series, retrospectives, and short films and animation), Chicago Filmmakers offers classes, film distribution, and community outreach.
Chicago Filmmakers is also one of the hosts of Reeling: the Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival, and also the Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival.
In April 2018 the Chicago Filmmakers relocated to a new address at 5720 N. Ridge Avenue, a former fire house.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater