Victory Theater

824 E. 47th Street,
Chicago, IL 60653

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Early `50s photo credit The Trolley Dodger.

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Vista Theater was built in 1914 in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood of Chicago, on E. 47th Street near S. Cottage Grove Avenue. The Vista Theater was located next to the Neo-Classical style South Side Bank & Trust Company building. In 1923 it was taken over by the Ascher Brothers circuit. In 1937 it was renamed Pix Theater when it was taken over by the H. Schoenstadt & Sons circuit.

In 1945, at the end of World War II, the theater was renamed the Victory Theater, and continued to operate at least through the 1950’s. A fast food restaurant is now located on the site of the theater.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

Broan
Broan on July 1, 2006 at 6:13 am

The Victory has been demolished for a long time now. The marquee read simply ‘V’. A Popeye’s now occupies the site.

Broan
Broan on October 22, 2007 at 10:53 pm

The Vista was built in 1914. It was a rather intriguing building, as it had alleys to either side of it, a garage behind the building, a dance hall of almost equal size to the theater on the same level, and a billiard hall upstairs.

CharlesR
CharlesR on July 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm

This theatre is listed as the Pix in the 1950 phone book.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 26, 2014 at 11:25 am

If it was listed as the Pix in 1950 then it had gone back to an earlier name. The January 30, 1942, issue of The Film Daily said: “Chicago’s Victory Theater, formerly the Pix, has reopened after extensive modernization.”

Khnemu
Khnemu on November 18, 2016 at 7:13 am

The Ascher Brothers did not acquire the Vista until 1923, according to this little blurb in the Exhibitors Herald of March 31, 1923 (before then it was independently operated):

“The Ascher Brothers have taken over the Vista theatre, at 47th street.”

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 21, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Early `50s photo added credit The Trolley Dodger. Victory Theater marquee on the far right.

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on April 21, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Was any Popeye cartoons shown there? It appears the tramline out front, seen in the photo is gone too!! Does anyone know where that tram ran too and from on that tramline and the years when it started and finished running?

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on April 21, 2018 at 11:53 pm

The bank(name unknown?) seen in the photo too, is still there though.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 22, 2018 at 12:43 am

davidcoppock: It looks like the trolley car was running on Line 28, the Stony Island route. From October 15, 1916, through June 29, 1951, it operated along 47th Street between Lake Park Avenue and Cottage Grove Avenue. The route ran from downtown to Stony Island Avenue and 94th Street.

Line 47 also ran on 47th Street. It provided local electric streetcar service along 47th between Lake Park Avenue and State Street from 1895, and was extended west to Kedzie Avenue in 1896. The route was converted to buses in 1951.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater