103 E. Erwin Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The 400-seat Liberty Theatre was opened on June 20, 1930 with Eddie Dowling in “Blaze o' Glory”. It was closed in 1973. It was reopened on March 28, 1975 with Rod Perry in “The Black Godfather”. The city of Tyler purchased the closed theatre in 2008, for $180,000. The city then partnered with the East Texas Symphony Orchestra to raise more than a million dollars of private donations to restore the theatre.
Renamed Liberty Hall, an invitation only concert given by the East Texas Symphony Orchestra was held on July 23, 2011. The ‘Grand Reopening’ will be September 10, 2011. The Liberty Hall will host concerts, classic movies and other entertainment. Architect Mike Butler worked to return the theatre to its Art Deco style, expanded the stage and refurbish the theatre, which now has 330 seats.
While the theatre was closed, Chuck Van Bibber wrote this description: The Liberty Theatre has been well maintained even though it is closed. The upper facade is in a mint green color with black trim. The lower facade is done in tile with a checkered pattern in cream red and black color. The box office is to the left side of the entrance doors. Smaller lobby but the entrance doors look like they were from a 1940’s remodel and are solid wood with a diamond shaped glass in the upper section of each door.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater