108 St. Patrick's Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 11th May 1932 with Wheeler & Wolsey in “Peach O'Reno” and the architects were Albert Walter Moore and Crabtree (of the architectural firm Moore & Crabtree). Similar to the Savoy Cinema in Limerick it has an Art Deco style exterior and an Atmospheric Venetian style interior. The cinema had a large restaurant and the auditorium was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/12Ranks theatre organ which was opened by Fred J. Bridgeman. Over the years, big name stars appeared on its stage, including Gracie Fields, Beniamino Gigle, Paul Robeson & Richard Tauber. In the 1960’s Tom Jones, the Bee Gees & The Rolling Stones appeared. The Savoy Cinema was home to the annual Cork Film International Festival from May 1956. Organist Fred J. Bridgeman retired in 1967 and the Compton organ was removed from the building to a private residene in 1970. The Savoy Cinema was closed on 1st February 1975 with “The Towering Inferno”.
Since 1977 the former stalls seating area has become the Savoy Shopping Centre and in 2000 the circle became a nightclub and the Cork Dance Studio.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater