80 St. Patrick's Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Pavilion Cinema was opened on 10th March 1921 with D.W. Griffith’s “The Greatest Question”. It had a decorative white stone facade. Inside the 900-seat auditorium it had a 26 feet wide proscenium. An additional facility was a cafe, located on the first floor above the entrance. It was the first cinema in Cork to be equipped for ‘talkies’ on 5th August 1929 with Al Jolson in “The Singing Fool”. In February 1930 it was damaged by a fire, and was re-opened in June 1930 after repairs had been carried out.
The Pavilion Cinema and its cafe were closed in August 1989 with “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”. It was always independently operated.
The auditorium was converted into a nightclub, while the former foyer became retail use. The auditorium became a live music venue & bar named the Pavilion, with much of the original decoration restored. Entrance is gained from a former exit at the rear in Carey’s Lane. The former foyer is a branch of HMV entertainment stores. The live music venue had closed by 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater