3 Cross Deep,
4 people favorited this theater
Located in the south-west Greater London district of Twickenham, at the corner of Cross Deep and Heath Road.
The Luxor Picture Theatre opened on 18th November 1929 with Victor McLaglan in “King of the Kyber Rifles”. Built for Walter Bentley, it was designed as a cine-variety theatre with a proscenium 35 feet wide, there was a 17 feet deep stage and four dressing rooms. The theatre contained a mixture of styles, with the exterior being a combination of Egyptian and modern. The Egyptian theme was continued in the auditorium and the foyer was modern.
The Luxor Picture Theatre had a Compton 2Manual/8Rank theatre organ, opened by organist John Armitage, and there was the Luxor Orchestra. In 1932, the Luxor Picture Theatre was sold to the Joseph Mears Theatres Ltd. chain.
In January 1944, it was sold to the Odeon Theatres chain and was re-named Odeon in January 1946. The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 10th October 1981 with Franco Nero in “Enter the Ninja” and David Warner in “Nightwing”. A spectacular organ concert on the Compton organ was held in the theatre, just prior to closing. The theatre was demolished in 1986 and a sports club and bar was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater