3810 Main Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The Madrid Theatre was designed in Spanish style inside and out. The interior featured ornate plaster and the ceiling featured many large ornate angel medallions. The exterior looked much as it does today, yellow brick with terra cotta details and stained glass.
The theatre was constructed in 1925 and opened to the public on May 29, 1926 with Ford Sterling in “Steppin' Out” on the screen, a ‘Big Stage Show’ on the stage, film star Reginald Denny appearing ‘in person’ and Golden Eviston playing the 3 manual Wurlitzer organ. The Madrid Theatre was built and owned by the McCormick Construction Company and leased/operated by George Trinastich.
In the 1930’s, Howard Hughes, billionaire owner of RKO Pictures, bought up many theatres across the US, including the Madrid Theatre and the Warwick Theatre, just over a block away. After a decade, the Madrid Theatre closed as a movie house on January 16, 1942 with a ‘for one day only’ screening of Janet Gaynor in “A Star is Born”.
The Madrid Theatre sat unused until the early-1950’s when sadly it was purchased and gutted. The floor was leveled and it became a warehouse.
Saving the building from the wrecking ball, in 1983 craftsman Victor Patti bought the Madrid Theatre with the intention of restoring it to its grandeur. In the meantime, Patti used the building as his wood shop. In the fall of 1995, a group of investors dedicated themselves to the restoration of the Madrid Theatre.
The Madrid Theatre was beautifully restored and again opened its doors in the summer of 2001. Though few original architectural and decorative elements remain, be sure to look at the ceiling for the beautiful angels.
Today, the Madrid Theatre is often used for concerts, wedding receptions and salsa dancing.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater