Comments from popcorn_pete

Showing 426 - 450 of 594 comments

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Regent Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 6:23 am

The New Cinema was opened by Amalgamated Entertainment on 18 April 1947 with “Underground” and was the Regent from 1951 under Abbey Films. It closed on 9 August 1998 with “Outer Space”. It also hosted concerts from The Dubliners and Christie Moore and Planxty. The site is now Regent House and includes a physiotherapy clinic.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Royal Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:50 am

Reputedly the first silent film shown here was “The Gamble” with Renee Adoree and Conrad Nagel. It was a single-floor cinema. Between films and bingo it was the Team Beat Club which closed in 1963. In October 2014 the name was changed yet again to Oscar’s, a cinema style pub, which closed in June 2015 but reopened again that December only to close again in December 2016.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Palace Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:44 am

The Palace was built in 1912 and was showing films by February 1913. It was operated originally by RTA Pictures, reputedly the initials of the partners in the company. Subsequent owners included J & G Howdle in 1925 and A & H Wood in 1932. An installation by Tony Harrison called Promethius was set up here in 1977.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Regal Community Theatre on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:42 am

It reopened as the Regal Community Theatre in 1995 and operates with a combination of paid staff and volunteers. The entrance foyer has original terrazzo floor and the auditorium has a capacity of 206 with tiered seating and 120 when cabaret space is set up. A film society hires the space and shows films twice a month. Regal Radio, a community station for West Lothian, broadcasts from the theatre.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Star Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:36 am

New photo added today.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Grand Theatre on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:34 am

The Scunthorpe Telegraph shows a different building and states it was demolished sometime after 1976. I shall investigate further. More info at: http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/remember-cinemas-scunthorpe/story-29375616-detail/story.html

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Mallard Double Bill Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:18 am

Each auditorium is equipped with the very latest in Sony 4K digital projection and Dolby surround sound systems. It hosts two 3D screens, installed March 2013, and two wheelchair accessible auditoriums. Photo added today.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Lyric Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:16 am

Guernsey’s first talkie, Showboat, screened at the Lyric on 9 December 1929.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Lyceum Cinema on Apr 9, 2017 at 5:14 am

Built as a Scottish Presbyterian Church in 1840, turned into a skating rink and dance-hall then cinema for moving pictures, demolished about 1970.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Gaumont Plaza Cinema on Mar 17, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Operated by Ashley Whyatt who runs two cinemas in Essex and Kent. The opening film was reputed to be Bridget Jones’s Baby.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about West's Cinema on Mar 17, 2017 at 5:42 pm

According to the theislandwiki.org site the Royal Hall was demolished for West’s Cinema, and that the cinema opened on 24 September 1923. It closed after the last performance on 30 December 1972.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Metro Cinema on Mar 17, 2017 at 5:14 pm

The Metro was a venture by The Other Cinema which was originally set up as a film distribution business. It screened its first film at the Scala in King’s Cross in 1971. The renaming to The Other Cinema was simply a tribute to the company’s roots. Hefty rent rises are believed to be behind the decision to close.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Picture House on Mar 17, 2017 at 12:00 pm

The earliest Kine Year Book I can lay my hands on is 1923 and the Picture House is already listed.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Regal Cinema on Mar 17, 2017 at 11:56 am

The Regal was designed by J.J. Perrott and was operated by the Noyce family for its entire life. Emily Wood was an usherette for most of the time. One of its claims to fame was that it did not originally have toilets.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Regal Cinema on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Last listed in the Kine Year Books in 1958. Was the Shotz bar after All Stars but even that now seems to have closed.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Priory Cinema on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Forgot to mention that the auditorium was seriously damaged by fire in 1973 and had to be rebuilt.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Cinema on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Last appears in the Kine Year Books in 1970. Originally operated by A.C. Pindar but management showing as the Roxy in Kelso from the mid-1950s.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about ABC Eccles on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Opened on 30 July 1932. When all the performances were eventually finished the opening film was “Up for the Cup”. Pop concerts were held here in the 1960s with Gene Pitney and The Kinks just two of the familiar names to grace the stage. In 1935 the chief operator was killed when two curtain weights fell on top of him.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Waterloo Cinema on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Closed 17 July 1963 with “A Prize to Arms”

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Caley Picture House on Mar 13, 2017 at 1:32 pm

The Caley Picture House pub opened in the former cinema on 13 December 2016.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Ormonde Cinema on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Building damaged by fire 28 February 2016.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Playhouse Cinema on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:16 pm

The late-night bar opened on 3 May 2013 and is spread across two floors. Does not open until 9pm.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Savoy Cinema on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:11 pm

The building is now home to Playworld, an indoor play centre with roller skating facilites, set up by Raj Handa, which opened on 30 May 2014. This scuppered plans by another businessman to open a restaurant in the former cinema. The building is also remembered as being home to Lodge’s supermarket back in the day.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Priory Cinema on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Heron Foods opened its biggest store yet here in April 2016. This is at least the fourth supermarket to occupy the former cinema including Dee Discount, Gateway and Kwik Save.

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete commented about Roxy Cinema on Mar 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Opened by 31-year-old George Brightly at a cost of £10,000. A short-lived venture it closed five months later in November 1977. Brightly’s wife was the cashier and usherette.