Fire Temporarily Closes Latchis' Main Screen
BRATTLEBORO, VT — A fire yesterday in the Latchis Theatre’s main auditorium caused minimal damage (the screen, curtains, and part of the roof were burned) and the auditorium is expected to reopen Friday, according to WCAX-TV Channel 3. The other two screens will continue to operate until then.
Electricians working in the large auditorium may have inadvertantly started the fire when a curtain was set too close to a floodlight. The fire was mostly put out before firefighters arrived on the scene. The theater and Latchis Hotel, with which it shares a building, are the only two Art Deco style buildings in Vermont.