Parts of iconic Mission Drive-In come down

posted by trailerjoh on May 27, 2009 at 4:55 am

SAN ANTONIO, TX — The shuttered Mission Drive-In was partially destroyed early last week as part of a new project.

The four-screen theater opened March 27, 1948, and once featured a marquee of neon lights. Santikos Theatres closed the Mission Drive-In in 2007 after rampant vandalism, and the city later bought the 26-acre site to make way for a public library and other developments.

“We are deficient when it comes to libraries in this area,” City Councilwoman Jennifer Ramos said.

Read the full story in My San Antonio.

Theaters in this post

Comments (4)

markp
markp on May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

AS I’ve said many, many times before. Another one bites the dust.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 27, 2009 at 10:57 am

They fought like heck to keep this place alive. So sad to see it go.

MPol
MPol on May 27, 2009 at 11:28 am

Sorry to hear about the demise of this drive-in theatre.

steelbeard1
steelbeard1 on May 27, 2009 at 4:58 pm

While it’s sad that drive-in go, at least the marquee and historic screen tower will remain and there will be park space in front of the tower allowing for occasional screenings of movies.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment