50 Years of Pop

posted by Michael Zoldessy on September 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Medium

In honor of it being 50 years since its second premiere engagement at Radio City Music Hall, Cinema Treasures is celebrating the Golden Anniversary of “Mary Poppins.” With an interview featuring film historians from around the world and the always detailed account of its presentation history, Michael Coate’s two-page feature at the Digital Bits is one any film fan won’t want to miss. Check it out now!

Theaters in this post

Comments (19)

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on September 25, 2014 at 2:57 pm

WOW! THE ORIGINAL ENGAGEMENTS, what a great and long list! That really took a lot of work, thank you, Michael Coate!

On the list, one small mistake “1965-01-12 Virginia Beach (Norfolk) VA Memrose (12)”. The now demolished Memrose Theater (which I attended many times) was in Norfolk and had nothing to do with Virginia Beach a completely different city miles and miles away from the Memrose.

Michael brought back lots of memories, I saw “Mary Poppins” back in 1964 at Radio City Music Hall.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 25, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Ah, I didn’t see the engagement list yesterday & wanted to see it. Now I see there’s a page 2 to the article, and there’s the list.

andyp
andyp on September 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I remember going to see Mary Poppins at the Midtown in Philadelphia, not knowing four years later, I would work there. Saw Oliver! for ten months.

andyp
andyp on September 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Would love to see “Mary Poppins” on the big screen again.

MPol
MPol on September 29, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Ahh… yes…Mary Poppins! I remember that film, and when I saw it for the first time. It was such a cool film. I liked it when everybody got the “laughing disease”, and ended up floating in the air!

Coate
Coate on September 30, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Chief Jensen…. Thank you. I’m pleased at least one person enjoyed the article. I never know what readers think since so few people take the time to comment anymore. It was just a few years ago that articles such as these would routinely generate 30, 40, even 50 comments, with readers expressing their appreciation for the research, asking questions, pointing out items they believed to be in error, reminiscing about seeing these films when they were new, and so forth. I’m not sure why these things no longer seem to generate much feedback. Anyway, as to the Norfolk vs Virginia Beach thing…lately my preferred approach to identifying exclusive engagements on these historical projects is to cite according to what I would consider the “anchor city” of a region. Norfolk, as you know, is among a cluster of cities that comprise the Tidewater (or Hampton Roads) region of Virginia. Population-wise, Virginia Beach is the largest of the bunch and so I listed the “Mary Poppins” engagement according to that locale. I still made sure to include Norfolk in parenthesis, though, to alert the reader to the fact the theater where it played was actually located there. Scan through the list and you’ll see some other similar examples. Call it a quirk if you want. Or a form of watermarking….

patryan6019
patryan6019 on October 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Coate….At the time of its release the Virginia Beach population was under 85 thousand, Norfolk was over 300 thousand. In striving for accurate dates for your list{dates that occurred only at that time in history} shouldn’t the location of a theatre be accurate to that time also….but then, you’re the expert.

lukashik1985
lukashik1985 on October 9, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Terrarium TV is an app that lets you enjoy the best TV series directly on your Android. Not only can you stream episodes directly from the app, but you can also download them to your device’s memory and watch them later without an Internet connection. popcorn time

Pinoy Channel
Pinoy Channel on December 8, 2017 at 8:38 am

GOSSIP LANKA NEWS offer the Daily hot News online. Its Totally Local Underground Hot News in Sri Lanka Country.  ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ වැඩිම දෙනෙකු නරඹන සිංහල වෙබ් අඩවිය.

Roberson
Roberson on January 2, 2018 at 2:07 am

That’s a good style, friend! Try yourself as a creative writer.You can definitely earn something! the impossible game ludo king

pauljintom
pauljintom on February 19, 2018 at 11:57 am

We will get all information regarding the Kerala SSLC results 2018kerala sslc resultsPlease click on this link

pauljintom
pauljintom on February 20, 2018 at 5:59 am

We will get all information regarding the Karnataka SSLC results 2018Karnataka SSLC ResultsPlease click on this link

pauljintom
pauljintom on February 21, 2018 at 4:35 am

We will get all information regarding the Karnataka PUC results 2018puc resultsPlease click on this link

Complete information regarding 2nd PUC Results 20182nd puc results 2018On a single click

pauljintom
pauljintom on February 22, 2018 at 4:42 am

We will get complete information of Tamilnadu HSC Results 2018tamilnadu hsc results 2018Just click on this link

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment