50 Years of Pop

posted by Michael Zoldessy on September 24, 2014 at 7:45 am

Medium

In honor of it being 50 years since its second premiere engagement at Radio City Music Hall, Cinema Treasures is celebrating the Golden Anniversary of “Mary Poppins.” With an interview featuring film historians from around the world and the always detailed account of its presentation history, Michael Coate’s two-page feature at the Digital Bits is one any film fan won’t want to miss. Check it out now!

Theaters in this post

Comments (7)

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on September 25, 2014 at 6:57 am

WOW! THE ORIGINAL ENGAGEMENTS, what a great and long list! That really took a lot of work, thank you, Michael Coate!

On the list, one small mistake “1965-01-12 Virginia Beach (Norfolk) VA Memrose (12)”. The now demolished Memrose Theater (which I attended many times) was in Norfolk and had nothing to do with Virginia Beach a completely different city miles and miles away from the Memrose.

Michael brought back lots of memories, I saw “Mary Poppins” back in 1964 at Radio City Music Hall.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Ah, I didn’t see the engagement list yesterday & wanted to see it. Now I see there’s a page 2 to the article, and there’s the list.

andyp
andyp on September 26, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I remember going to see Mary Poppins at the Midtown in Philadelphia, not knowing four years later, I would work there. Saw Oliver! for ten months.

andyp
andyp on September 26, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Would love to see “Mary Poppins” on the big screen again.

MPol
MPol on September 29, 2014 at 5:46 am

Ahh… yes…Mary Poppins! I remember that film, and when I saw it for the first time. It was such a cool film. I liked it when everybody got the “laughing disease”, and ended up floating in the air!

Coate
Coate on September 30, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Chief Jensen…. Thank you. I’m pleased at least one person enjoyed the article. I never know what readers think since so few people take the time to comment anymore. It was just a few years ago that articles such as these would routinely generate 30, 40, even 50 comments, with readers expressing their appreciation for the research, asking questions, pointing out items they believed to be in error, reminiscing about seeing these films when they were new, and so forth. I’m not sure why these things no longer seem to generate much feedback. Anyway, as to the Norfolk vs Virginia Beach thing…lately my preferred approach to identifying exclusive engagements on these historical projects is to cite according to what I would consider the “anchor city” of a region. Norfolk, as you know, is among a cluster of cities that comprise the Tidewater (or Hampton Roads) region of Virginia. Population-wise, Virginia Beach is the largest of the bunch and so I listed the “Mary Poppins” engagement according to that locale. I still made sure to include Norfolk in parenthesis, though, to alert the reader to the fact the theater where it played was actually located there. Scan through the list and you’ll see some other similar examples. Call it a quirk if you want. Or a form of watermarking….

patryan6019
patryan6019 on October 4, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Coate….At the time of its release the Virginia Beach population was under 85 thousand, Norfolk was over 300 thousand. In striving for accurate dates for your list{dates that occurred only at that time in history} shouldn’t the location of a theatre be accurate to that time also….but then, you’re the expert.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment