Showing 701 - 725 of 2,510 comments
Well it appears it’s days as a music venue are over.
The below article states it will now only be used for weddings and private events.
April 1968 press photo added.
Unfortunately I do not know.
You’d probably have to got to the Silco’s Facebook page located via the above link, and ask beneath the individual photos.
Or maybe contacting the theater and ask them about the photos on their page.
Here is the direct link to the 1936 IDOT photo that has the Argmore marquee.
Previously posted by CompassRose in 2011, in the Uptown Chicago History link.
In the below link you can both enlarge, zoom and navigate within the photo to better see the marquee.
Address should be changed to 1643 Sheridan.
“Demolished” status should be removed, as the building is still standing.
It currently houses McAllister & Sons Signs.
Same building as the 1938 photo I added.
Below is a Flickr image of the building today.
Circa 1984 photo added courtesy of Kenneth Swedroe.
1933 print ad added courtesy of Kenneth Swedroe.
The 400 was run by Essaness at the time.
Saint Patrick’s Day Parade 1959 photo added, courtesy of the Chicago’s Extinct Businesses facebook page.
Circa 1979 photo added courtesy of Ralph Dacious McCain.
5/07/67 photo added, photo credit Steve Lewandowski.
March 2016 photo added, photo credit Dawn Wells.
The actress who played “Mary Ann” on “Gilligan’s Island”.
New owners applying for alcohol license.
1946 photo added, photo credit Charles Phoenix.
Closing as of tonight.
1955 photo added as the State Theatre, courtesy of the AmeriCar The Beautiful Facebook page.
1956 photo added of the opening of “Giant”, photo courtesy of Wendy Wilson.
Whose mother worked in the concession stand at this time.
Via the Traces If Texas facebook page.
Current article about the Forbidden Root brewpub to open Thursday.
Here’s the link to the piece robboehm mentioned above.
1973 photo courtesy of Michael Thomas Angelo.
1973 photo as the Crest added courtesy of Michael Thomas Angelo.
Circa 1962 photo added courtesy of the AmeriCar The Beautiful Facebook page.
Marquee on the far right.
Great pic if you like picking out automobiles.
1949 photo added courtesy of the Americas Past In Photo’s Facebook page.
1948 photo added, photo credit Cecil Paul Lockhart.
Pictured are his parents who owned Vogue Cleaners.
Via the Traces Of Texas Facebook page.
As the Valuskis Theatre in 1951.Photo courtesy of the USC digital archives, from the now dead link.
Coincidentally, below copy courtesy of Verl Stanford:
It was May 19, 1951 when Patty was kidnapped by Henry Ford McCracken. The film playing that day was “The Bird of Paradise” (as shown on the marquee in the photo added). And, it just so happened that that film was about a kidnapping. McCracken was a sexual psychopath. “ In 1946, his concerned mother petitioned the Orange County Superior Court to have him committed to a mental hospital. His behavior and record as a serial child sex offender, however, failed to impress medical examiners who said he had "mild schizophrenia with anxiety neurosis but can distinguish between right and wrong.” THEY WERE WRONG! “After his "mild schizophrenia” diagnosis, McCracken moved from Orange County to Michigan, where his string of child sex offenses continued. In the fall of 1950, after nine arrests, Detroit Police prepared documents to have him permanently committed to a mental institution. Before the documents were filed, McCracken fled back to Orange County. A few weeks later, he was arrested in Santa Ana for failing to register as a sex offender. He served a six-month jail sentence. On May 6, 1951, he was on the streets again.“ "McCracken immediately gravitated to an auto court cottage on Grand Ave. down the street from the Valuski’s Theater where he took up residence. (Today that is a vacant lot right next to the Coyote Creek flood control channel.) He worked nights entertaining at the nearby White Elephant Cafe (that was on Beach Blvd. and Commonwealth where the Bank of America branch is today). Just 12 days after his release from the Santa Ana Jail, he took an empty seat at a Saturday matinee, next to Patty Jean Hull.” In later years before Mr. Valuski sold the theater he had hired Patty’s brothers, Jack and Jim Hull, to be projectionists in the theater. Many local people still patronized the theater but because it was old fashioned and outmoded Mr. Valuski sold out and retired that theater to new owners.
History of the Telenews via WTTW.