Comments from Cliffs

Cliffs commented about Regency Village Theatre on Jul 14, 2014 at 4:27 am

I have to say I was initially worried about the Atmos retrofit for the theater and how it would affect the Village aesthetically. Having gone to see Apes at the Village this week, those concerns were unfounded. Unlike the El Capitan, where it looks like they just hung scaffolding to attach the new speakers (Which might be all they could do and protect the architecture… so not to bash the El Cap) the Village Atmos is very well installed. Oh, and it sounds great too. So yeah… Dolby Atmos and THX together at last!

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 8, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Well, it was also beneficial for Arclight to break away from the Chinese because it also allows them access to Disney now (which they didn’t have before). After losing Avengers and Iron Man 3 to the El Capitan, they were able to get Thor, Captain America, Muppets Most Wanted, and eventually Star Wars, Pixar, and the rest. Had the Chinese never IMAX’d and the booking district split, Arclight would almost certainly never had any of those films. I’m sure that’s worth, long term, whatever attendance might get pulled by the Chinese now.

Cliffs commented about Regency Village Theatre on May 6, 2014 at 12:23 am

Or The National… :‘(

But I’m glad to see this arrangement. The Village and Bruin have been on a positive trajectory since the closing of the Avco and it looks like the iPic might have been the best thing for them (sort of how splitting the booking for the Chinese and the Arclight Hollywood has really improved the viability of the Chinese the past 9 months). Great to see so many of the previously endangered treasures getting some extra life.

Cliffs commented about Regency Village Theatre on May 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

The fact that both are booking day and date is fantastic news for both. I couldn’t imagine how iPic was going to book in their low seating count auditoriums while the Village had 1200 seats up the street. Conversely, it looks like the Village and Bruin will now be able to continue shorter 2 week bookings and keep those films fresh. This is a happy, happy day.

Cliffs commented about Battle for the bigger screen on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:12 am

Spend 20 years twinning, triplexing, and tearing them all down and then the past 5 rebuilding inferior replacements.

Cliffs
Cliffs commented about "Veronica Mars" success shows people still go to the movies on Mar 22, 2014 at 4:04 am

You simply spouted off a bunch of totally false information in a tone of total authority. I like to hear the opinions of others, but I always hope those opinions have a LITTLE research or knowledge behind them and not just wild swings in the dark.

And for the record, I’ve not seen more than a half season of Veronica Mars (and certainly not seen the movie) and can’t really stand Tyler Perry… So congrats! You’re 0 for 2 now.

Cliffs
Cliffs commented about "Veronica Mars" success shows people still go to the movies on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:22 am

Raysson, There’s so much wrong with almost everything you said. As markinthedark points out, Veronica Mars opened on only 291 screens (vs 1900 for SMC and 3500 for 300:ROAE), 260 of which were rented by Warner Bros as essentially “private screenings.” Those showings had more people in them, per showing, than anything else in the top 10 except Grand Budapest Hotel. More screens, more money.

When Frozen opened in November, it was #22. Would you say that film got kicked off the podium? Of course it was only in 1 theater that opening weekend.

I’m just saying a bit more research might be necessary before you go off on your next “commentary.”

Cliffs commented about Theatre at the Ace Hotel on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Well, they’re showing Back to the Future there on June 21st, so it looks like it will still be a movie theater, from time to time. https://www.laconservancy.org/events-tours/last-remaining-seats

Cliffs commented about Egyptian Theatre on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:57 am

I’m still absolutely baffled as to how an auditorium that housed a 90 foot wide screen now contains a 53 foot wide screen. Where did that extra 40 feet fit? Did they somehow shrink the auditorium?

Cliffs commented about iPIC Westwood on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I can’t imagine a lot of studios are going to want to book an 85 seat screen when they have 1300 seats up the street (at least on their biggest releases). I imagine a lot of move-overs and limited first runs. At best, you might get the occasional big summer movie taking up three or four of their six screens.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jan 16, 2014 at 4:35 am

bigjoe59… there has certainly been an increase in business as well as a decent turnover in films. The biggest problem with the Chinese right now (and this is going to sound strange) is that very few people know about it. When Mann started dumping off theaters and the Chinese lost what little booking power it had to Arclight and the El Capitan, a lot of people (myself included) kind of abandoned the theater. Not because I really wanted to, but because it wasn’t the (overall) best place to see a movie anymore. There was no reserved seating and (worst of all) usually nothing of interest to see there. I can honestly say that in the past 5 years I’d only gone to Grauman’s to see Fast and Furious, District 9, Clash of the Titans, Predators, McGruber, Harry Potter 7.2, and X-Men: First Class (I didn’t even attend one single movie there in all of 2012). So that’s 7 movies in 5 years. Since the IMAX conversion I’ve been there at least once a month (going again tonight to see Jack Ryan, which will be my 5th trip there in 4 months). But that’s us here on CT. I don’t think the public at large is really aware of the changes. It was painful and sad to watch the Dome pack itself rather quickly for Catching Fire while the Chinese was half to half+ full. But I think (hope) that people are becoming more aware and we’ll see what happens this summer, which will have Spider-Man, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Transformers 4, Jupiter Ascending, and Into the Storm giving them plenty of product to choose from.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:26 am

I saw that as well… kind of shocking. The Chinese co-existing with the Arclight is the best thing for the Arclight because they now get Disney.

Cliffs commented about After the split. on Dec 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Saw Empire Strikes Back in this auditorium in 1980… except I was seated on the other side of that wall on the left. Sad…

Cliffs commented about El Capitan Theatre on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:59 am

Well now that Arclight appears to be in a separate booking district, I would assume Ep 7 would also play the Dome, but in their patented “sh!t-D” 3D experience.

Cliffs commented about Southwest Plaza 5 on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:53 am

Well, the wording’s certainly muddled, but one thing that’s TOTALLY inaccurate is that Bowles Crossing was 5 blocks west of Southwest Plaza. It was only across the street to the east for God’s sake. The Kipling 6 was the one to the west, but it was never operated by Colorado Cinemas. Originally Mann and now Elvis.

Cliffs commented about El Capitan Theatre on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:15 am

I would even say that the biggest screens (not the Dome, but the complex screens) at Arclight Hollywood are as big or maybe bigger than the El Capitan.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wow… the TCL Chi-MAXing is the best thing that could have happened to Arclight Hollywood. It looks like they have been removed totally from the booking area, allowing them free access at Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm stuff now. It’s also the best thing for the Chinese since they don’t have to simply contend with Arclight’s castoffs anymore.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 13, 2013 at 12:11 am

If Disney was smart… they’d locked down Hollywood Blvd for Episode VII and have it playing at both. Treat the Chinese and the El Cap as one big multiplex. Imagine how cool it would be to have Star Wars playing on both sides of the street.

Cliffs
Cliffs commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:35 am

Ironically (as the Dome has historically been my favorite theater), if the same film was being shown at the El Cap, the Chinese, and the Dome and I was being forced to watch it in 3D at all 3 (like many blockbusters now are), the Dome would be my LAST choice. I’ve been hoping this increased competition would force Arclight to retreat back and cater more towards 2D customers (like the Village has done), but between Gravity and now Thor, that isn’t happening. But if it’s 3D only and between the Chinese or the Dome… The Chinese. 3D only and between the El Cap or the Dome… the El Cap.

Cliffs
Cliffs commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Wow… Thor is showing at the El Capitan and the Dome now. I wonder if because of the new Chinese, Arclight Hollywood is no longer in that zone. Weird.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 am

There’s no way this becomes a nightclub in its new incarnation. They would literally have to gut it again and do another multi-million dollar renovation. And luckily, based on the attendance for Wizard of Oz, Metallica and now Gravity, the renovation was well worth it.

And once they IMAX craze is over (which I don’t think is anytime soon)… guess what? It’s still a theater. I think we have to worry more about what happens when the land lease runs out in about 10 years than we do a dip in the IMAX craze hurting this theater.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 6, 2013 at 3:42 am

Well, I’ve read that Lincoln Square is 97'x76', so the Chinese is almost the same width (97' vs 90'), but not nearly as tall (76' vs 46'). Doesn’t really matter with Gravity though, because Gravity is a constant 2.4:1, so both screens use up roughly the same real estate.

And yes, some LA theaters do still offer matinee discounts except they’re like $12 or $13 now. But Arclight doesn’t… no.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:26 am

They’re leaving it unmasked (for now). I suspect they are trying to impress people with the screen size in these early days. It’s also the reason I think they have the curtain open before the show, because they closed it when it was over. There also was no pre-show, although we walked in about 2 minutes to showtime so maybe it was just over by then. I just think the game plan is to try and wow people upon first entering the theater. I know I was wowed. Yes, I’d like to see them start using the masking, but I’m willing to cut them some slack these first couple months. I honestly never even really noticed the lack of top/bottom masking. I can say for sure… I feel sorry for the people seeing Gravity at the Dome.

Cliffs commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Oct 4, 2013 at 5:37 am

The IMAX renovation at the Chinese is GORGEOUS!! Definitely feels different, but was great to see the place so busy for Gravity. There was a line on Hollywood Blvd to buy tickets and for a moment, I was confuse as to why all those people were there (It’s been a while since she was this happening).

Cliffs
Cliffs commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:27 am

If you see Gravity 3D in the Dome instead of the superior presentation at the Chinese, then you deserve the worlds worst 3D presentaion (which is what you’ll get).