Comments from cubdukat

Showing 8 comments

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Adelphi Theater on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

And so the hole remains to this day…

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Crest Theatre on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I think that Disney’s association with the Crest actually goes back to the Pacific Theatres era. In fact, they seemed to have their hooks into a couple different Pacific screens before they finally settled on the El Capitan, including the Cinerama Dome. But getting back to the Crest, I always liked this screen. The interior was a bit over the top, but I always had a good time there.

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Century 12 Evanston and Century CineArts 6 on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm

They had their last film presentation on Dec. 4, 2010. It was a midnight showing of Tim Burton’s “Batman.” The theatre is indeed all digital now. Not sure whether the xD screens are 4K, but the rest of the theatre is most likely 2K.

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Music Box Theatre on Nov 1, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Does anyone know if they upgraded the sound system in the big theatre? I’m going to see “Blade Runner: The Final Cut” there, and somehow I doubt it’ll be presented in 5.1. The audio in that theatre has always been distorted for as long as I can remember. It’s just a shame Warner Bros. didn’t pick a more technically-capable but equally beautiful theatre to show it at.

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about National Theatre on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:36 pm

I’ll truly miss this screen. The only movie I ever saw here was the secret Dolby Digital test of “Star Trek VI.”

Actually, now that I think of it, I take that back; I also saw “Single White Female” there.

At any rate, it’s a shame they’re shutting this one down. One less single-screen palace.

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Regency Village Theatre on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:25 pm

This was one of the first theatres I went to when I first went to L. A. I saw “Last Action Hero” here when they were still testing out SDDS. Both SDDS and the film stank.

I went back about ten years later on vacation, and I saw “Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.” I think there were only five or six people in the theatre. It was one of the coolest theatre experiences I’ve ever had—to be all but alone in a single-screen THX-certified movie palace like that…

Oh, yeah, the movie was pretty good too :)

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Carnegie Theatre on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:07 pm

I was at the “Star Wars” event, and it was the first and only time I was ever there. I really wish I had the chance to see more movies there, as it seemed like a very cool theatre.

cubdukat
cubdukat commented about Esquire Theatre on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:02 pm

I remember how beautiful this theatre used to be. I saw two movies here before they split it up—“Gandhi” in 1982, and “Return of the Jedi” on opening day in 1983. Both presentations were in 70mm, and “Jedi” was the first time I noticed Dolby Stereo.

After that, I only saw two more movies there after the conversion—“Ransom” and “Outbreak.” I was so disgusted with what they did to the place that I never went back. IMHO, it represents everything that went wrong with Cineplex Odeon when Loews/Sony muscled its way into Chicago.