Comments from davidplomin

davidplomin commented about College Theatre on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Such a beautiful interior! Can’t understand why it was converted to a gym so early in its life?! Thanks, Broan for the link. I like the description of the architectural style: “Collegiate Gothic”! That’s a new one on me!

davidplomin commented about Model Theatre on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Glad they didn’t alter the top half of the building. Too bad the bottom half lost all their original doors. Is the neighborhood that dangerous that the entrance looks so uninvitng?

davidplomin commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Sad to look at all those vintage b&w archive photos. Those beautiful statues and light fixtures! I hope they were salvaged by appreciative collectors and not vandalized or thrown in the dumpster!

davidplomin commented about Cosmo Theatre on Jun 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm

A shame the building couldn’t be saved. Wonder how The Sunset Club was? You had a theater that was turned into a nightclub, adjoining shops and offices or apts above. Englewood has no theaters left. They had a lot once. Very sad.

davidplomin commented about Woodlawn Theatre on May 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I love the unique marquee letters! Deco!

davidplomin commented about Springfield Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Theater too small for the nearby competition or couldn’t make the transition to sound?

davidplomin commented about Lawndale Theater on May 29, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Very sad. I used to drive down Roosevelt Road up until a year or so ago. Took pictures of this block. It could have been renovated and reused, as well as the storefronts and apts adjoining it. Didn’t the alderman care? Look at the neighborhood! What does he actually do to earn his salary? Seriously. I’d like to know, cause driving by, I still see plenty of empty lots and boarded up buildings.

davidplomin commented about Alex Theater on May 29, 2015 at 8:51 pm

The Newberry and the Chestnut were two separate theaters within a block of each other on the west side of Clark St. The Newberry was torn down, the block replaced by a high rise apt. The Chestnut Station was a former post office converted to a pretty nice multiplex.

davidplomin commented about Savoy Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I would have liked to see the original facade. This church does not inspire confidence in the neighborhood with that look! More like a fortress!

davidplomin commented about Linden Theater on May 17, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Looks like a colorful marquee when lit after dark! There seems to be a sign over the side part of it. “For Sale”? Or rent?

davidplomin commented about President Theater on Mar 9, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Opened in 1911 and closed in 1924?! Such a nice facade. I wonder why such a short life? You would think a theater this size could have weathered many a change. Nice facade lit by bulbs!

davidplomin commented about Star and Garter Theatre on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:51 pm

According to JAZZ AGE CHICAGO, the theater was closed from 1935-1946. You would think this theater would have been in demand during the war years, being that size, but I guess there were so many theaters during that time it didn’t matter. Still, I hope they salvaged the ornamentation for collectors during demolition.

davidplomin commented about Bryn Mawr Theatre on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Kellylo, those old props and posters if they are still there, and not chewed up by the rats could be worth a FORTUNE! I hope whoever owns the building doesn’t do something rash and just throws them in the dumpster when/if they ever renovate the theater. Would make a great decor!

davidplomin commented about Balmoral Theatre on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:27 pm

It’s odd that someone would build a brand new movie theater in a neighborhood that still had plenty opened! And to last barely four years. That ugly four plus one building that replaced it is no improvement! One day, I’m sure town hoses will replace that.

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about 2012 Gathering to mourn loss of Athens Attikon cinema on Nov 2, 2014 at 12:23 am

So instead of torching a government building, idiot protesters burned down a landmark theater. NICE GOING MORONS!!!

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about Count Basie Theatre Pediment Removal on Nov 2, 2014 at 12:12 am

I totally agree, JT. WTH is going on here, except the beautiful terra cotta and gargoyles don’t mesh with the BLAND glass fa├žade behind it. Sad.

davidplomin commented about Clifton Theater on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I always thought that this building used to be a theater. Love the red brick and terra cotta being kept up nicely at age 100!

davidplomin commented about Argmore Theatre on Aug 17, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Hey Yves! Very nice of the manager to show you the storage area where the main auditorium is! I’d like to get into the Bryn Mawr and see what’s still there!

davidplomin commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hey Seamus1972. Your story piques my interest. Email me at: . I LOVE a good ghost story. I have a few theater ones myself..

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about Castro Theatre Organ IndieGoGo Campaign on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I heard a great organist playing it before the movie on a visit back in 2006. Maybe have your best each record a few of their favorites on the present organ and sell CDs! I know people who would buy them!

davidplomin commented about Varsity Theater on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Link won’t open on this site.

davidplomin commented about Fond du Lac Theatre on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm

From what I’m reading here, there were six theaters in Fond Du Lac, and NONE are operating now?! Couldn’t save even ONE? Sad….

davidplomin commented about Varsity Theater on Jul 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I drove by yesterday with a friend from Chicago. I wonder how much was left upstairs in the balcony? From the alley, you can see that all the fire escapes have been removed, and many of the exits are bricked up. You can still see a few metal doors just begging to be opened by us urban explorers. No way for the employees of that Gap store to explore. From what I recall, the stairs leading up to the balcony were just inside the front doors in the lobby. And those are gone as well. All retail space, except maybe far back, the stage area is still there. No need to dismantle it. Too expensive. Just wall it up. It was a grand place to see movies!

davidplomin commented about Franklin Theatre on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm

What a cool facade! Too bad tastes change, and there was no room for this kind of architectural style. I’m sure the ones that survived longer were modernized in the style of that particular year.

davidplomin commented about Arden Theatre on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’ve never seen a theater where you could drive under the marquee! Nice design! Too bad it’s history now.