Comments from davidplomin

davidplomin commented about Star and Garter Theatre on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:51 pm

According to JAZZ AGE CHICAGO, the theater was closed from 1935-1946. You would think this theater would have been in demand during the war years, being that size, but I guess there were so many theaters during that time it didn’t matter. Still, I hope they salvaged the ornamentation for collectors during demolition.

davidplomin commented about Bryn Mawr Theatre on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Kellylo, those old props and posters if they are still there, and not chewed up by the rats could be worth a FORTUNE! I hope whoever owns the building doesn’t do something rash and just throws them in the dumpster when/if they ever renovate the theater. Would make a great decor!

davidplomin commented about Balmoral Theatre on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:27 pm

It’s odd that someone would build a brand new movie theater in a neighborhood that still had plenty opened! And to last barely four years. That ugly four plus one building that replaced it is no improvement! One day, I’m sure town hoses will replace that.

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about 2012 Gathering to mourn loss of Athens Attikon cinema on Nov 2, 2014 at 12:23 am

So instead of torching a government building, idiot protesters burned down a landmark theater. NICE GOING MORONS!!!

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about Count Basie Theatre Pediment Removal on Nov 2, 2014 at 12:12 am

I totally agree, JT. WTH is going on here, except the beautiful terra cotta and gargoyles don’t mesh with the BLAND glass fa├žade behind it. Sad.

davidplomin commented about Clifton Theater on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I always thought that this building used to be a theater. Love the red brick and terra cotta being kept up nicely at age 100!

davidplomin commented about Argmore Theatre on Aug 17, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Hey Yves! Very nice of the manager to show you the storage area where the main auditorium is! I’d like to get into the Bryn Mawr and see what’s still there!

davidplomin commented about Loew's Majestic Theatre on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hey Seamus1972. Your story piques my interest. Email me at: . I LOVE a good ghost story. I have a few theater ones myself..

davidplomin
davidplomin commented about Castro Theatre Organ IndieGoGo Campaign on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I heard a great organist playing it before the movie on a visit back in 2006. Maybe have your best each record a few of their favorites on the present organ and sell CDs! I know people who would buy them!

davidplomin commented about Varsity Theater on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Link won’t open on this site.

davidplomin commented about Fond du Lac Theatre on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm

From what I’m reading here, there were six theaters in Fond Du Lac, and NONE are operating now?! Couldn’t save even ONE? Sad….

davidplomin commented about Varsity Theater on Jul 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I drove by yesterday with a friend from Chicago. I wonder how much was left upstairs in the balcony? From the alley, you can see that all the fire escapes have been removed, and many of the exits are bricked up. You can still see a few metal doors just begging to be opened by us urban explorers. No way for the employees of that Gap store to explore. From what I recall, the stairs leading up to the balcony were just inside the front doors in the lobby. And those are gone as well. All retail space, except maybe far back, the stage area is still there. No need to dismantle it. Too expensive. Just wall it up. It was a grand place to see movies!

davidplomin commented about Franklin Theatre on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm

What a cool facade! Too bad tastes change, and there was no room for this kind of architectural style. I’m sure the ones that survived longer were modernized in the style of that particular year.

davidplomin commented about Arden Theatre on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’ve never seen a theater where you could drive under the marquee! Nice design! Too bad it’s history now.

davidplomin commented about Chief Theatre on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Looks like the Palace Theater is just four doors down on the left of this picture! Must of been a decent sized town to support two theaters so close to each other and its Main St that ends after two blocks!

davidplomin commented about Bryn Mawr Theatre on Nov 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm

It’s too bad they can’t reopen the theater. Outside of the 400 Theater a few miles north, that area of the city is severely under screened. The 80’s lost The Granada, Devon, Adelphi, Howard. That’s a LOT of seats. Bryn Mawr east of Kenmore is looking a lot better than those seedy days of the 80’s. Just push for improvements west all the way to Broadway! It can look like Lincoln Ave north of Fullerton!!

davidplomin commented about Guild Theatre on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m looking at all the theaters that used to be in downtown Vegas, and I wonder, what the hell happened??!! Did no one care to keep a couple of them opened?! With such a large population, including tourists who……MIGHT NOT WANT TO GAMBLE, and actually see a movie instead, WHY they are all gone. No IMAX theater. No classic films venue. No first run movies. Sad indeed. Your your C OF C only cares about the gambling tables, slots, expensive high rollers. Not the regular folks who crave inexpensive entertainment. I pity your downtown, and it’s future…..

davidplomin commented about Randolph Theater on Oct 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I worked at the Noble Fool Theater from its move there to the end. It’s a shame the theater couldn’t have made a go of it. It was a cozy main theater, with a smaller one down the hall and a cabaret bar in the basement. And haunted too. I heard strange music and singing one afternoon while locking up when we didn’t have a show that night. No one next store at the Oriental either that might have been rehearsing. Didn’t scare me, but I didn’t stick around to find out if more was coming. The foundation was not current, as they probably just tore down the previous building to build new. That foundation, visible in the crawl space was very old mismatched stonework. Solid, but could it still emanate vibrations from the past as well?

davidplomin commented about Roxy Theater on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I wonder if the owner of the building would do everyone a favor and remove that ill conceived urban renewal crap of a facade off, we might see a handsome real brick and stone facade under there. I never understood the reasoning to cover such craftsmanship with mediocrity.

davidplomin commented about Heights Theater on Sep 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Even though the seats are long gone, it’s nice to see the building still standing. I love the fact that the upper half is still intact, including the twin brackets that must have held the original signage or cast iron canopy/awning. Would love to go in and see what’s been covered by drop ceilings and side paneling!

davidplomin commented about Joyland Theatre on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

According to the great shot posted on this site, it looks like the bottom front is boarded up, ready for demolition. The name change probably happened sometime after the Chicago Theater at State and Lake opened in 1921.

davidplomin commented about Joy Theatre on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Beautifully unique facade! I wish I could have experienced these places in their prime.

davidplomin commented about King's Palace on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:03 am

I love the facade! Love the curved brick! Thanks for posting Jack!

davidplomin commented about Odeon - 1958 on Jul 8, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Nice color shot! Looks like the entrance is hidden by those three storefronts! No traditional marquee?!

davidplomin commented about Willard Theatre on May 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I’m intrigued with the way they wrapped the new building around the old theater. Not too shabby! I like the one picture that shows the CTA train (red? green line?) right there, Thats the way we get people to use public transportation! Very accessible for this venue! I wonder if the people who use that theater (would Love to see interior pics!) know that the Marx Brothers honed their act there in Vaudevile years before they made their success in Hollywood?!