Comments from DJM78

DJM78 commented about Fortway Theatre on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:43 am

EJC513…..It’s late August and this is the first time that I’m seeing your post. I hope that the project went well and I hope that it’s still being displayed. I worked at the Fortway for a few years and I had a blast.

DJM78 commented about Atmospheric auditorium on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:34 am

Another great photo. I wonder if it still looked like this in the 1970’s right before it was made a triplex

DJM78
DJM78 commented about Fortway Theatre, Brooklyn, NY in 1927 - Proscenium arch and Auditorium on Jun 17, 2013 at 3:53 am

Wow. I worked in The Fortway for a few years. It had five screens by the time I worked there. I’ve always wanted to see a picture like this! Where did you find this picture? If I’m correct the center seats would become theatre#1 with the seats to left and the right becoming Theatre#4 & #5. However it first went to 3 screens before 5

DJM78 commented about Normandy Theatre on Jun 15, 2013 at 2:10 am

This site never disappoints me. I’ve passed this building a few times and each time I’ve thought this looks like it was a Theatre. Sure enough I check this site and there it is.

DJM78 commented about Kings Theatre on May 27, 2013 at 2:44 am

The Kings is about a 7 block walk from the Beverly Road Q train station. Give or take a block. I also believe that the B41 Bus will get you there. There are Mass Transit options.

DJM78 commented about RKO Prospect Theatre on Jan 6, 2013 at 2:07 am

Tinseltoes….Great stuff!

DJM78 commented about Kingsway Theatre on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:28 am

GoBoy, Movieplace-Thanks for the info on the separate entrance. It’s a shame that almost all of these classic theaters are gone from Bklyn.

DJM78 commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:14 am

WOW. Unbelievable photo!!

DJM78 commented about Harbor Theatre on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:11 am

Nice photo!! Do you have any more classic shots of Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights theaters?

DJM78 commented about Fortway Theatre on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:06 am

Great photo. I love how the Municipal Archives have it mislabeled as Fort Hamilton Avenue. The building is on Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.

DJM78 commented about Park Theater on Jan 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

As of January 2012 the exterior of the building looks much different than the photo at the top of this page. The Key Food pictured above has had a complete exterior renovation.I’m pretty sure the inside has been renovated as well.

DJM78 commented about Alben Theatre on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I’ve taken a second look at the photo at the top of this page. That’s a real deal cobblestone street. I like the photo that much more now. You can still find some of that classic cobblestone on First Avenue and a few other streets in Sunset Park.

DJM78 commented about Center Theater on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:10 am

The Fourth Avenue Police Station was located on the southwest corner of 4th Av and 43rd St. Unlike many classic Bklyn theaters the old precinct still stands today complete with horse stable. Although the building has remained vacant and crumbling for many years.

DJM78 commented about Loew's Oriental Theatre on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:29 am

I can remember passing the closed Oriental on the way to class. It was about this time that I realized that nothing last forever.

DJM78 commented about Bay Ridge Theatre on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:18 am

Great photo of this theater. A block away and across the street was Lento’s. Taking in a show at the Bay Ridge theater then getting a pizza at Lento’s must have been a good night.

DJM78 commented about Osiris Theatre on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:03 am

The old building looked tiny. The theater couldn’t have seated very many people. From the history given up top it doesn’t seem that this place had much of a run.

DJM78 commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:24 am

I can’t believe there were rock concerts in this place.

DJM78 commented about Sunset Theater on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:13 am

Anyone out there have a vintage photo of this theater?

DJM78 commented about Alben Theatre on Jan 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Without question 3rd avenue being torn apart couldn’t have been good for business. From what I’m told and what I’ve read Robert Moses was very good at ripping a neighborhood in half.

DJM78 commented about New Venus Theater on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:57 am

I spoke to “The Sheriff of Windsor Terrace” recently and asked him about this theater. He told me that the older residents of the neighborhood remember it well. They told him it was nicknamed the “The Bed Bug” and/or “The Itch”.

DJM78 commented about Alben Theatre on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:25 am

AWESOME PHOTO. I wonder what the seating capacity was? The place looks tiny. I’ve actually been inside the building. They sell candy and other products wholesale there. I can’t recall have far back the building runs from 3rd Ave.

DJM78 commented about Alben Theatre on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:47 am

I pass this place all the time. It was a movie theater? Until 1964? As for the El track post, I believe the Gowanus Expwy was built atop the BMT third avenue line.

DJM78 commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:06 am

Life’s Too Short-RobMinichino, Thanks for the info.

DJM78 commented about Parkside Theater on Jan 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

I was right outside of this building a few times. Never had a clue that it was a movie theater. Anyone out there have a photo of this theater?

DJM78 commented about RKO Shore Road Theatre on Jan 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm

mp775-Great link! My first time ever seeing a photo of the RKO Shore Road. I have to be honest. When I did the scroll through the 1980’s shot blew me away too. I almost forgot about the “Martin Paint” and “fayva” shoe store. When I was a young kid durning the 80’s I never realized that building was once a movie theater. I could always tell by looking at the building up the block (The RKO Dyker) that it once was a movie theater.