Showing 1 - 25 of 137 comments
Before the Regal Theater, this building was the “Turn Halle” a social club founded by Germans immigrants.
The left part of the building is the former City Hall, replaced in 1928. The right part [nearest to us] was the location of the Cecil/Royal Theater.
The exact location of the Danforth Theater was : 144 Danforth Ave. Jersey City, NJ.
The Lyceum Theater in Boonton, New Jersey was located in 905 Main St. It had 700 seats and was owned by David Snaper Theaters in 1930. Closed around 1950.
The last of the four buildings in a row is the Regent Theater.
The section of Irvington where this theater was located was in 1940 [midst of II World War], heavily populated by German- Americans. Ethnic suspicions ran rampart in the United States at the time. Pressures from anything connected to Germany drove the owners to change the name of the theater to the Grove.
The First building on the right is the Bishop Theatre.
The RIvoli Theater gutted by a fire in 1977, was rebuilt as the Williams Carlos Williams Center for the Performing Arts. It have three screens, the biggest named George W. Newman with 190 seats. It is open.
This show both cinemas, the Stanley first and crossing the street, the Savar, circa 1952
Check this link : www.downtownrutherfordnj.com/the-history-of-rutherford/
This is the Criterion Theater that was located on 40 Ames St, Rutherford, New Jersey and destroyed by a fire on 1943. Most of the pictures on this site are from the former Rivoli Theater, now the Williams Carlos Williams Arts and Performing Center.
Build in 1911, the Criterion Theatre, a two floor wood structure with stucco exterior, opened in January 1912, with vaudeville acts arranged through Keith and Proctor, a major New York booking agent.
The name and address are wrong on this Theater, the George W. Newman Theater is one [ the biggest ] of the 3 screens forming the Williams Carlos Williams Center 3, located at 1 Williams Plaza in Rutherford, site of the former Rivoli Theater.This Criterion Theater stood at 40 Ames Avenue, Rutherford and was destroyed by a fire on June 29 1943, it’s side is now occupied by the Rutherford Fire Company # 4.
The State and Capitol Theaters in Union City, shared the same structure,the State to the left [actually demolished] and the Capitol, to the right [ actually a CVS pharmacy]
This Cinema was closed for a while but then reopened in 2008. Originally called Cinema Royal, the name was changed to Roy, in honor of Goteborg filmmaker, Roy Andersson, and the last two letters of the sign were taken out of use.
Academy Theater, 146 Route 130, Bordertown NJ, phone 609 291 9000. It is a semiprofessional theater located next to the infamous Mastoris Diner in Bordertown NJ. Producing both large and small scale plays and musicals, and children theater. Not a movie theater.
You can see at the back of the building, the screen of the Forrest Drive In, a drive in cinema adjacent to the Forrest Cinema. Both are demolished today.
Sommerville Auditorium, actual photo.
Sommerville Auditorium in Australia circa 1947.
The building on the center-right of the picture is the Apolo Theater.
Statue of the Chinese philosopher Confucius in the former site of the Shanghai Theater.
Here, on Campanario Street was the main entrance of the Shanghai Theater.
The cinema Del Valle name was changed to Cinema Yarey after the triumph of Castro’s revolution, it is the only Cinema on town and still open.
The front building is La Casa de la Colonia Espanola, behind it, with the ruined roof, is the decayed Cine Cervantes of Caibarien
This photo, represents the Niza Theater, not the Campoamor.