Comments from JodarMovieFan

JodarMovieFan commented about Regal Bethesda 10 on Dec 7, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Wow. The venue had a good 25 year run. In my mind it seems like it opened more recently than that.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 15, 2016 at 3:25 pm

The ‘new’ IMAX theater doesn’t look that much different than other IMAX installs. Seats don’t appear comfy cozy.

Any pics of the theater that shows the new Billy Lynn movie? Did they remodel that to accommodate the tech upgrades for the movie? Or, is the theater just your standard shoebox auditorium with projector upgrade for the HFR 4K projection? I’m reading the sound is supposedly Atmos or Atmos-like.

First person-type films make the best presentations. Just straight up dramas waste the format, imho, unless you like to count the pores on the actor’s faces or note other detractions. :) My memory of Showscan recalls vivid imagery and sound. The thing is the shorts kept repeating some of the shots over that the ‘newness’ of the hyperrealism causes the magic to wear off.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater on Nov 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Darth, it appears so. Check the Smithsonian’s webpage. It states that it opens here on Dec. 18. It should be spectacular. Supposedly, they filmed scenes in IMAX. Hopefully, it should look great here. Enjoy it and the museum exhibits, too. ^5.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Bow-Tie Annapolis Mall 11 on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:52 pm

The other night I saw the Madea Halloween movie in #1. The sound mix was terrific. At the start of the frat party scene, I could’ve sworn that the people to the left of me were chatting. I kept looking at them and they were silent. After listening more closely, it was the sound effect that the characters onscreen would be experiencing with people talking beyond a wall. The ‘ghostly’ sound effect of someone speaking could be heard rear left and then travel right. The best sound effect was the sudden ‘boom’ thunder clap during the scene when the lights went out. It was a 1-2-3 punch of surround sound multiple effect and deep bass boom for the thunder. After the ‘scare’ I began to think it could’ve been made better with a more thunderous crackle like the real thing.

I think this is the first or second time I’ve seen a Madea movie in the theater. It never really appealed to me much but after seeing the rotation of movies on cable, over the years, and the funny preview, it seemed worth a viewing. I think the frat boys were wrongly cast. They look more like 30something then late teen or early 20something fraternity brothers. Then there’s the preachy subject matter(s) that went too long, imho. As usual, the outtakes during the credits were funny and of the usual flubbed lines and ad libs. :)

JodarMovieFan commented about Loew's Fairfax Circle on Oct 31, 2016 at 11:31 am

I’m not sure but I think this theater was the one that had a very wide screen and was featured in a local news feature(Channel 9?), in 1983, on the opening of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. I’m thinking the feature had stated this was the largest screen in Virginia that was showing the movie but was NOT in 70mm.

JodarMovieFan commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Sep 11, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Ah hah! Someone must’ve been listening. They have Star Trek: TOS Movie screenings this week at the AFI, but mostly in 35mm and DCP. The Motion Picture is Blu-Ray and is the Director’s Edition. Sadly, no 70mm for anything. The Blu-Ray presentation was underwhelming the first go around even though it was in the Historic Auditorium. III maybe worth a viewing in 35mm. I can’t believe I’m saying that after all the years of complaining about scratched and mishandled 35mm film prints at the local megaplex. Maybe its a studio vault print. Then again, why not the 70mm, if its a vault print. :P Decisions, decisions. To boldly go, or not.

JodarMovieFan commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Sep 4, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Movie, no recliners like AMC. Maybe one day? The back of the original auditorium has very comfortable wide seats and space for your cups and a food item.

I enjoy the rear seating in the original, but lose that sound envelopment unless I’m sitting closer even though its a THX cert auditorium. I’m thinking that many shows just aren’t played loud enough for my taste. I can’t remember the last time they played the THX trailer, probably in the 00s and the Life sound trailer. Then again, I haven’t visited this year, yet, maybe they’ve got the newest space one. :)

JodarMovieFan commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Aug 31, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Thats a nice shade of red, Howard. Nice picture ^5.

What was the color of the old curtain? It wasn’t that bright whatever it was.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Bow-Tie Annapolis Mall 11 on Aug 30, 2016 at 6:16 pm

I caught the latest Star Trek: Beyond the other week in #2. I missed opening weekend due to work commitments, the first time I’ve missed a Trek movie opening weekend ever..some 37 years. :P Since 2 was one of the original THX cert auditoriums, the experience was great. The 3D presentation didn’t seem to work right, not from a technical sense, but from the experience. Since a good portion of the movie takes place in a darkened destroyed Enterprise, whats the point of 3D?

Tonight, I saw the ‘Ben-Hur’ remake in #8. Though not a favorite auditorium, the sound and picture were excellent, if only the movie was better.

I can’t believe my drink cost about as much as my movie ticket. At least the concession stand person was friendly, the ticket taker was not. They may as well replace him with a robotic idiot to just tell me where my movie was going to show. That, I can see on my ticket.

I can remember 10 years ago the place was converted to digital projection. No spots, flickering or other film detractions today.

With the proliferation of self service kiosks, I can see the coming end of the traditional ticket booth. The kiosks are right there so there’s no need to go to the other end of the food court to buy your tickets.

JodarMovieFan commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Aug 30, 2016 at 6:06 pm

I happened to look at the AFI Calendar today and discovered they’re showing DCP versions of the Star Wars trilogy Fri, Sat and Sun. I wonder if these are the updated updated versions that Lucas tweaked with the last DVD sale..the one where Hayden Christensen is the Anakin image seen at the end of ‘Return of the Jedi’ and not the original guy.

Later in the month, they’ve booked 2001 once again, in 70mm, with the stars Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood for Q&A. I think they were here last year or a couple of years ago for a Q&A. I wonder what the occasion is. I’m also wondering if this is the fresh print that was rumored to have been struck. If so, this may be worth visiting especially with the stars there. To be honest, for me anyway, I would definitely go if the VFX Supervisor Doug Trumbull was there. I would have liked to ask him some questions regarding the film and other projects he has worked on over the years and his current work in hi def virtual reality.

September is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. It would’ve been nice if AFI had a 70mm movie retrospective. In70mm has shown bookings of II, IV and VI, over the year in different venues, so at least those exist. The DC area didn’t get a 70mm booking of VI when it came out. :(

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Laurel, MD - Laurel Theater: From movies to theater, comedy to wrecking ball on Aug 4, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Wow. What interesting history. The Laurel Twin theaters were off of 197 I think. I visited there a few times when it was a second run place.

Was the Laurel cinema the one that was eventually twinned and then had 4 small theaters beneath? I forget. If so, I saw movies there in ‘89 and '97 I think..

JodarMovieFan commented about MacArthur Theater on Jul 13, 2016 at 5:21 am

Speaking of “Star Trek: The Motion Picture,” I found this never before seen clip on youtube taken on premier night at the MacArthur. The image quality is excellent and shows the theater and its marquee and some quick interviews with some of the stars. From the sounds of the screaming crowd, there must’ve been hundreds outside, if not more. Grace Lee Whitney and Persis Khambatta look so beautiful. Its sad most of them are all gone now. Too bad, no interior shots of the interior.

And, to finally settle the 70mm debate, there’s no mention of it on the marquee. So its just plain old 35mm eprad stereo.

The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMahpAHN2Xw

Can you believe its been almost 20 years since it stopped showing movies?

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 12, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Howard, this site is a better place with the pictures you and others have taken to better illustrate and preserve the memories of those movie venues that we have enjoyed that are gone. ^5. I thank you.

At least its nice to know this place is still there and could return to being a first run place.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 11, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Michael, after all the T2 discussion on the different DC venue pages and no mention of us? :P While it may have been too much to individually mention us, you could have collectively thanked the “Cinema Treasures Group” in your article. :)

Can’t believe its been 10 years since the place closed to the public and almost 30 years since it opened.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:07 am

Howard, CDS=Cinema Digital Sound. Re: Jurassic Park, you’re right. I’m thinking the Dolby Digital installs at the Arlington Multiplex Cinemas were the first installs in this area. Thats where I saw Dragon and Whats Love Got to Do With It. I referenced my post on that venue’s page.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:05 am

Bleh. What I typed didn’t show up on the website properly.

As I wrote that, for some reason, I’m thinking 70mm and CDS for Dick Tracy at the Arlington Multiplex Cinemas. More likely, it was 70mm 6 track in the larger of the two THX certified venues they had at the time. But, my memory may be blurred by what I read on in70mm about it being booked at a Hollywood venue. :P

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00 am

Um..wait a second. I don’t believe there were any DC area 70mm DIGITAL engagements of T2. It had to have been 70mm 6 track. In the Post, the movie ads usually had the 70mm engagements with those audio sound waves. Something like this: <<< 70 M M > > > more to size inside a box.

ENGAGEMENT

The only DC area digital engagement was the CDS one at the UA, now Regal Bethesda 10. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

The DC area venues didn’t get Dolby Digital and DTS until around Jurassic Park, Whats Love Got to Do With It and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. I saw them all and remember traveling to the Multiplex Cinemas in Virginia to see/experience it.

I believe the first 70mm DTS movie we got in the area had to have been the Vertigo re-release. I saw that at the Uptown and in my mind, I was thinking 70mm movie print and separate digital disc for the sound.

JodarMovieFan commented about Strand Theatre on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:08 am

Nice. Why not show movies on that H-U-G-E screen and serve hot pizza and other food?

JodarMovieFan commented about Regal Bethesda 10 on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:00 am

Hi Coate. I don’t think I saw this movie more than twice in theaters. The 70mm THX viewing had to have been at either the Wisconsin 6 or one of the Multiplex Cinemas in Virginia. I’m thinking it was more of the Wisconsin 6 because it was closer to my friend’s home. Whenever we went to these event movies we always chose the best presentation, plus I had the newer reliable car. :) That being said I couldn’t compare it to the non-THX 70mm engagements. I wouldn’t have settled for less than the best with my moviegoing dollar.

I’m also thinking they debuted the exploding/morphing THX trailer based on the scene I mentioned above. Or, was that for the video?

JodarMovieFan commented about Suns Cinema on Jun 11, 2016 at 4:28 am

Hmmm. I happened to look at their concession menu and they serve ‘vegan pork rinds’ and tv dinners.

It would have been nice if the website had pictures of the interior. From the description above, it just seems like an enlarged row home living room and tv.

JodarMovieFan commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on May 27, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I saw ‘Captain America’ in IMAX 3D before it left this week. When I bought my ticket, I was mad at the fact that they would only let me ‘choose’ a seat way up in the back of the theater. It was a matinee and I thought maybe they sold out but the place seemed deserted. When I paid my $18.69, the movie was just about to begin. I should back up and say there was a difference of about 15 minutes between the stated showtime and the actual showtime, which made me miss all the previews. :( Since it was dark, I just sat at the aisle seat and practically had the place to myself. :)

I had a good time. The movie wasn’t so dark as Digital 3D usually is. They changed the sound fx intro to the IMAX format. Its okay, just slightly different. My aisle seat is actually good for me as its at that immersion point where the you’re not looking so much up or down at the screen. The early scene with that one character..I do not know the name because I don’t really follow the comics..she has the dark hair. You could tell some of the movements were CGI. Too much CGI. While you know they are super heroes who perform super human feats, it just registers as fake to me when they keep throwing those CGI stunts at you that the ‘wow’ factor diminishes.

I’m disappointed the new X Men: Apocalypse isn’t booked in IMAX. I can’t believe they booked the Alice in Wonderland sequel instead. UGH!. On the other hand, its in the Dolby Cinema one. It may be worth the trip to come back this way, but I don’t know.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater on May 25, 2016 at 1:26 am

RE: ST II. I guess the only way to find out is to boldly go and see it for myself. :) To be honest, my memories of the 70mm original theatrical run have always been in my mind more so for its soundtrack. Perhaps the DCP is from the newly released 4K remastering. It should look good in this theater. I’m hoping some of the sound fx are still there.

JodarMovieFan commented about Uptown Theater on May 24, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Upon movie showtime searching this evening, I had noticed that showtimes at this theater were not posted on the AMC website. I had initially feared that the theater may have closed and no one knew about it. Googling revealed that they are showing the latest Captain America.

In the google search, I noticed a Wiki page on the Uptown where it states the Norelco 35/70mm projector was taken out in ‘10 when Tron Legacy came out. Going through the posts, I saw the discussion thread that took place but didn’t see where the venue’s old Norelco projectors went to? Does anyone know? I was thinking maybe the Portland OR theater that had 70mm capability installed a few years ago, but forgot the name of it. :P

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan commented about Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater on May 20, 2016 at 10:34 am

I saw that. Only the newer Trek films are in IMAX. I suspect Star Trek II is digital? And they’re charging the same $15 as the IMAX formatted NuTreks.

JodarMovieFan commented about AMC Tysons Corner 16 on Apr 8, 2016 at 11:21 am

Sounds cool, Giles. Thanks for the review. :) Now..the question to be answered is..is it worth the $20 admission price for the lovely reclining seats and state of the art presentation?