Comments from Richie_T

Richie_T commented about National Theatre on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Just recognized the National in all its living glory while watching David Fincher’s Zodiac. The house is packed with a 70s era audience while Dirty Harry plays on the big screen. The lobby is also featured as the film lets out. Check it out if you’re feeling nostalgic.

Richie_T commented about UA Twin A & B on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm

This was a cool theater back in the day. Saw ET and Jedi there. Jedi was 70mm. The building now houses a BABY’S R US. You can see it from the 405.

Richie_T commented about Rialto Theatre on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:52 pm

It’s official. The Rialto has been converted into an Urban Outfitters. The interior is pretty cool. They were projecting old black and white films onto the former screen wall during their grand opening. Will drop by with my camera soon.

Richie_T commented about Cinedome 8 Theater on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm

What a short life…

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Chinese remodel during construction 7-22-13 on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

What’s done is done. I’m sad to see our heritage lost but at the same time I’m optimistic that this new design will carry on the tradition of first class presentation at one of our most beloved theaters.

Richie_T commented about AMC Criterion 6 on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm

That’s too bad… That was the nicest theater on the promenade… the nicest in Santa Monica even…

Richie_T commented about AMC AVCO Center on Mar 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Anybody know when this place relaunches…?

Richie_T commented about Century 22 on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Wow… this theater reminds me exactly of my beloved, late Orange Cinedome… next time I’m up north I will visit for sure. Good to see.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Family 4 on Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

The Family Four was a little run down but a decent place for broke neighborhood kids like me to camp out in all day long. There were lots of second run double features and a fair amount of hard core slasher flicks which always seemed odd for the Family Four.

Richie_T commented about Waikiki 1 & 2 on Jan 27, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I saw RAMBO III and COMING TO AMERICA there while on vacation in 1988… Great theater!

Richie_T commented about NuWilshire Theatre on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm

The Folks at Alamo Drafthouse need to check out this venue! It’s stripped bare and ready to go.

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Cinemark 18 and XD Los Angeles on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Spent a night on LOCK DOWN inside this theater as a hostage situation unfolded across the way at Nordstrom Rack… free movies and popcorn…. strange night.

Richie_T commented about Balboa Village Theatre on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm

This theater was awesome… so many Rocky Horror memories, great audiences and performers, I remember a night back in 1987 where the band INXS attended a screening after shooting a video down at the arcade… amazing times… Pizza Pete’s and the old Balboa Theater, damn… the last film I saw here was AKIRA back in 1990… it’s a shame this theater isn’t better taken care of… RIP

Richie_T commented about Bridge Theatre on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Well said, hdtv267… Any hope of another company moving in?

Richie_T commented about New Port Theatre on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’ll be there for the Lord of the Rings marathon… can’t wait… loved this theater back in the day… thrilled to have it back!

Richie_T commented about Regency Bruin Theatre on Nov 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Attended an Academy screening of Lincoln last night followed by a Q and A panel including the likes of Daniel Day Lewis, Steven Speilberg, John Williams, Kathleen Kennedy, etc. The theater was packed. First time I’ve seen it this way in years. Made me miss the glory days of Westwood. The old house still has it. Excellent presentation.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport on Nov 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Amen, lukesky7

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Regal Cinemas LA Live Stadium 14 on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm

The Premier Cinema is quite impressive. Love the balcony. A+

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Saw The Master today under the dome in glorious 70mm!

Richie_T commented about Edwards Cinema on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Great memories, Kyle. This was one of my favorite theaters growing up. Cinema Center across the street was awesome too! The last time I saw a movie at this location was in 1996… it was the Hellraiser set in outer space, I believe it was called Bloodline. I have to say, the theater was in pretty bad shape at this point. I wonder if they spruced it up for Star Wars. If memory serves they closed it shortly thereafter. Anyway, glad to see other movie geeks showing love for Edwards.

Richie_T commented about AMC AVCO Center on Aug 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Although I’m not 100% behind the concept of iPic, it comforts me to know that the Avco will live on in some capacity.

Richie_T commented about Royal Theatre on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Boo.

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Cinemark 18 and XD Los Angeles on Jul 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Saw The Dark Knight Rises IMAX yesterday… haven’t been to this theater in a couple of years since it was the Bridge… it’s still a great place to see a film and the IMAX is true!

Richie_T commented about Century Aurora on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Profoundly disturbing. Some thoughts from AICN:

Nordling here.

I can’t help thinking about the kids at last night’s THE DARK KNIGHT RISES screening in Aurora, Colorado. How excited they must have been – perhaps they were anticipating it all day before loading up into the car and going to the movies. We’ve all been there. I feel something like that every time I sit down to a new movie, and especially the big ones like this, I always feel like a kid again.

This tragedy has struck the heart of our community. These people are us. Who else goes to midnight screenings but we crazy few movie geeks – yes, even Batman movies – and that excitement is palpable. I wish I could bottle it for the bad days, because it’s one of those times in my life where true joy is found. Going to the movies is my favorite thing in the world, other than spending time with my family and friends. It’s literally what I live for.

This weekend, go to a movie. No, it’s not about keeping the bad guys from winning, or making a statement, although if you want it to be, that’s okay. Go to the movies this weekend because it’s a joy. One of the last great joys we have left these days, it seems. Plant youself in a theater, and see whatever you fancy. It’s the place dreams come true. It’s the magic land. That screen isn’t a window – it’s a door. An inviting door that lets in everyone. All are welcome in that world, and we get to wonder in the power of imagination and beauty.

I don’t normally post like this and I’m sorry if this upsets some of you. I’m grieving for the losses in Aurora, Colorado, and I am trying very hard not to play the political games of finding where to put blame. This community took a real loss today, and I mourn those who were killed, pray for the wounded, and celebrate that magic that we all chase every time we sit down in a movie theater. Theaters are my church, and today we’re all hurting.

I love movies, and you do too. Let’s celebrate them.

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Saw Prometheus under the dome at the midnight show. Amazing presentation. Jerry Goldsmith’s haunting Alien score playing before the movie inside the cavernous auditorium really set the mood. A+