Comments from Richie_T

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 24, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Saw Dunkirk 70mm inside the dome on Sunday July 23rd at 2:30pm. There were two major issues with the presentation. The framing was off during the trailers, ok, no big deal. There were hairs or fabric or something blowing on the lense that were so distracting on the bottom of the screen. Also, is it me or does the curved screen slightly distort the image? Hate to be negative but I really wish I had went to Universal and seen the 70mm IMAX presentation.

Richie_T commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 8, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Caught Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 this weekend. Packed house. Presentation is second to none. This film begs to be seen in IMAX Laser 3D.

Richie_T commented about AMC Century 14 on Apr 23, 2017 at 4:10 am

I attended the opening weekend back in October of 1987. Concessions were priced under a dollar. 20th Century Fox classics were screened over the three days at discount prices. The 70mm Star Wars trilogy played in the big cinema. Alien and Aliens double featured one over. Romancing the Stone also played in one of the smaller auditoriums. Over the next 18 years I saw so many films there: Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Jurassic Park, Loaded Weapon 1, Alive, Last Action Hero, Batman and Robin (walked out), South Park, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, just to name a few. Last film I saw was Revenge of the Sith during what would be the finally week of operation. Great theater for its day. Lots of celebrity sightings. Many fond memories. The structure now houses a Container Store. Luckily, the AMC Century 15 on the other side of the shopping center continues my moviegoing tradition when on that side of town.

Richie_T commented about UA Westwood 4 on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:38 am

It’s a trip getting your prescription filled in the exact spot you once saw The Doors.

Richie_T commented about Nuart Theatre on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:35 am

The Nuart is West LA’s greatest neighborhood cinema. Friday midnight retro movies happen weekly and are well programmed. The coolest thing to happen for me at this theater was back in 2004 when Samual Fuller’s The Big Red One reconstruction played to a full house on a Friday night. After the screening, the late Richard Schickle led a Q and A with a very special guest in attendance… the great Mark Hamill. Got to meet Luke Skywalker himself. The Nuart is known for cool situations like this.

Richie_T commented about Picture Show at Main Place on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:21 am

I saw BIG at this theater during the summer of 1988. It was nice and new. The layout was a little different. It was an AMC, I believe.

Richie_T commented about Cinedome Theatres on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:57 am

My one and only visit was so memorable… Raiders of the Lost Ark, summer 1981. We almost didn’t make it on time because a tanker truck jackknifed on the freeway and exploded. We literally took our seats as the Paramount logo appeared on screen. The vast dome was packed. My 8 year old brain experienced its first dose of cinematic bliss. What a ride! It was the last time our family of four saw a movie together. Divorce happened shortly thereafter.

Richie_T commented about Century Plaza Cinemas on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:40 am

This was where I saw The Phantom Menace. Man was that a disappointing day. The main auditorium was classic. The last few movies I saw there were X Files, Private Parts and lastly, Apocalypse Now Redux in August of 2001. It was a proper way to say goodbye.

Richie_T commented about Beverly Center 13 Cinemas on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:30 am

I used to frequent this theater during the late 90s. Memorable screenings include: Star Wars Special Edition, Saving Private Ryan, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, American History X, The Phantom Menace, and LA Confidential. Cinema 1 with the balcony was where you hoped your movie would be playing. Cinema 11 on the other hand, like watching a movie at home.

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Regency Charter Center Theaters on Feb 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Sad news. Just over 30 years of operation. That’s a pretty good run. So many memories. This one hurts.

Richie_T
Richie_T commented about Regency Charter Center Theaters on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I dropped by one of my favorite childhood theaters this weekend which now operates as a discount house. Happy to report that the 30 year old establishment continues to thrive and is well looked after by Regency. It’s a perfectly preserved relic from the 80s. It’s amazing they can stay in business with such low prices. That said, business was booming on the day of my visit.

Richie_T commented about Plaza Theatre on Jun 4, 2016 at 12:35 am

Very cool!

Richie_T commented about Edwards Cinema Center on Jun 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I was in the neighborhood recently so I decided to swing by and pay my respects. Happy to see that the sad patch of land which used to be Edwards Cinema Center, The Ice Skating Palace, Kona Lanes and the old record store has been developed into a massive condominium complex. Looks really nice. Life goes on.

Richie_T commented about Plaza Theatre on Apr 26, 2016 at 6:06 pm

The last film I saw here was The Doors in 1991, just over 25 years ago. We sat up in the stadium seating section and were tripping in magic mushrooms. It was quite an event. I don’t think we were the only audience members on some kind of hallucinogenic… I can’t remember if this was a 70mm presentation but I’ll tell you what, for most of us in attendance we were looking through a portal to the late 60s early 70s. So much fun. I grew up seeing movies in this amazing auditorium… Popeye, Empire 70mm, Superman, Poltergeist 70mm, Aliens 70mm, Die Hard 70mm… Great memories… Now just a patch of green grass next to a parking structure.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Aug 2, 2015 at 4:41 am

For me, the newly renovated Big Screen did not disappoint. Although I do miss the curtain and can do without the Regal pre show, I really appreciate the extra space and comfort of this modern configuration. It’s the next logical step and feels right for this landmark of cinema. The screen looks amazing and was wide as I remembered it for today’s showing of Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation. Great sound. Good crowd. Long live Edwards Big Newport. The old man would be proud.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:44 am

One question. From the listing I couldn’t tell if Antman was screening in 3D. Didn’t appear to be. I don’t think they ever offered 3D before in that auditorium because of the old screen. I would imagine they have the capability now with all the new specs. The Chinese Theater has the same projector and 3D looks amazing there. Just curious.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:38 am

Thank you, Flix70! I’ve been so curious about this revamp. I’ll be visiting next weekend to see M:I Rogue Nation. I’ll try to snap some additional shots. Also, I should be receiving new vintage photos soon. Thanks for sharing!

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on May 6, 2015 at 2:12 am

That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see what they’ve done with the original three.

Richie_T commented about Old School Big Newport on May 4, 2015 at 1:14 am

I found it on line. I used to work for Edwards, many years ago. My girlfriend at the time worked upstairs at the corporate office. I have recently been in touch with her and she is working on acquiring many photographs from the early 90s all the way back through the late 60s. Once I get the ok I will post them here!

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:55 pm

My guess is that it makes more sense to have five theaters up and running by May 1st… I imagine July 4th would be a good of day as any to unveil the new big screen. Perhaps Terminator Genysis will kick things off. I can’t wait to see the finished product. I grew up watching films at Big a Newport. I worked there from 1990 through 1992. I can barely articulate how much this place means to me. I live in LA now but will happily make the trek down south to see what’s doing. I can guarantee my attendance in late December for Star Wars.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm

The renovation of the big screen has begun… Fingers crossed.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:22 pm

They have not twinned this theater. It is a legend in Orange County and thankfully has been well looked after over the years. However… Plans are in motion to “upgrade” the auditorium with spacious stadium seating as well as state of the art IMAX screen. I have mixed feelings about this. If they can pull off what the Chinese Theater did just a few years ago this might be a worthwhile endeavor… Time will tell.

Richie_T commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I love this theater more than any other. I hope they do right by her. There’s nowhere else I’d rather be on December 18th, 2015.

Richie_T commented about Regent Theatre on Sep 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Is this theater closed?

Richie_T commented about iPic Westwood on May 8, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I’ve been inside and I really like what they’ve done. The AVCO has been reborn. Is it the cinema we remember from the 70s? No. Is it ten times better than the cinema we remember post split? Ten thousand times. This is a classy spot and I urge you to come see for yourself.