New Beverly Cinema
7165 Beverly Boulevard,
46 people favorited this theater
New Beverley Cinema (Official)
Previously operated by: Robert L. Lippert Theatres Inc.
Previous Names: New Globe Theatre, Dahl Theatre, Capri & Riviera Theatres, New Yorker Theatre, Europa Theatre, Eros Theatre, Beverly Cinema
News About This Theater
- Sep 7, 2014 — Tarantino takes over programming at New Beverly
- Sep 29, 2011 — HTC Meeting 11/15 at the New Beverly
- Feb 24, 2010 — Tarantino serves as 'angel' of the New Beverly
- Jul 20, 2007 — Sherman Torgan, New Beverly Theatre owner, has died
- Mar 18, 2004 — Crest Theatre Now Hosts Midnight Classic Film Screenings
Built in 1929 and used as a nightclub under various names over the years. On February 8, 1950 it opened as the New Globe Theatre, but stopped showing movies in 1951 and became a Yiddish theatre. On October 23, 1958 it was opened by Robert L. Lippert as a twin screen cinema named the Capri & Riviera Theatres. On September 13, 1963 it was de-twinned and renamed New Yorker Theatre, and on June 24, 1964 it was renamed Europa Theatre. By 1969 it was screening adult movies and this use continued under various names: it became the Eros Theatre on February 11, 1970. In February 1971 it was renamed Beverly Cinema and on August 2, 1972 it was renamed New Beverly Cinema. It stopped screening adult movies in September 1977.
It reopened on May 5, 1978 as a revival house presenting a Marlon Brando double-bill:“A Streetcar Named Desire” and “Last Tango in Paris”.
The New Beverly Cinema is still a beloved venue for classic films. In September 2014 it was taken by film director Quentin Tarantino. All films shown are presented in 35mm or 16mm prints. It was closed for refurbishment in January 2018 and reopened on December 1, 2018. It was closed in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and reopened on June 1, 2021 with a screening of “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.