Comments from Rstewart

Rstewart commented about AMC Classic Dekalb Mall 16 on Jul 17, 2018 at 2:52 am

That is a shame, even though I was from Cobb, I liked N. Dekalb Mall. When I read that Rich’s (oops “Macy’s) was closing down I knew it would be the end eventually, such a shame. I think the worst part of the destruction of Atlanta is that there is never any significant fanfare, it just disappears. When Perimeter closed it was a whimper, not that it was the showplace it once was, but I think a lot of folks would have gone to one last show had we known it was coming. I know everyone I knew in the late 70’s saw at least one midnight movie there regardless of what part of town you were from and had great, if fuzzy, memories of it.

Rstewart commented about Georgia Twin on Jul 14, 2018 at 2:36 am

I agree about the Tara, but it isn’t quite as rounded as the Cinerama, otherwise the resemblance is remarkable. When I moved to Northern NJ a visit to the Zeigfeld was a must. I don’t even recall what we saw, I was busy checking out the theater, it was a spot on for the Rialto except it wasn’t rough and threadbare. A shame it was gutted, but NYC property is what it is.

Rstewart commented about Georgia Twin on Jul 14, 2018 at 12:44 am

Martin built a ton of twins and triples in the 70’s similar to the Martin Theatre in Talladega, AL, the southeast was virtually littered with them. They were never bashful about reusing a design. I have a recollection of another theater somewhere that had both the distinctive ribbed walls and overall shape as the Cinerama, but can’t put my finger on it. I keep trying to think of another area that would have had similar demographics in that time frame that would have supported a house of this size in their market. Perhaps another regular will have some suggestions.

Rstewart commented about Georgia Twin on Jul 13, 2018 at 1:18 am

I was only in the auditorium once prior to the butchering and that was a long time ago. The offices were small as I remember, when you went into the back door there was a narrow stairway to the second floor. Martin liked to use plans over and over again, I wonder did they use this plan elsewhere to compare it to? I know I have seen another theater with a similar shaped footprint somewhere in the southeast, but can seem to recall where.

Rstewart commented about Georgia Twin on Jul 12, 2018 at 1:41 am

Wow, that is a couple of stinkers to introduce your newest offering! Stan, see my reply to your question in the photo section.

Rstewart commented about Martin's Georgia Cinerama on Jul 12, 2018 at 1:16 am

I was always led to believe that the offices were added during the twinning. Looking at a picture on Cinematour the rear exits locations would have left adequate space for the offices, so they may have always been there. I would say there is every chance that by 64/65 Martin may have felt that the Downtown Cinerama had a short life left, coupled with the increasing traffic, and considered moving their offices to this more suburban, at the time, location. If you look at their 60'expansion, with this location and the Eastgate and Westgate they were aiming at “new” suburban areas. By the late 70’s Martin effectively had next to no presence in Atlanta, but from what I understood the Patrick’s didn’t want to live in Columbus, so this office soldiered on.

Rstewart commented about Hammond Square Cinema on Jul 5, 2018 at 9:29 pm

I only recall ever visiting this location once to see “The Reincarnation of Peter Proud” (at least I think this was where I saw it!) Funny how in that era you sometimes had to travel to see a film.

Rstewart commented about American Cinema of Athens on May 11, 2018 at 2:17 am

I recall this being open in the early 80’s but never visited. Had relatives in the area and wold catch a movie in Athens maybe once a year but always at the Martin Plaza Twin.

Rstewart commented about Movie Palace on May 11, 2018 at 2:12 am

Now Athens Movie Palace, from Google street view it appears to be a new lobby addition to a classic 70’s Martin Twin.

Rstewart commented about Tilghman Square 8 on May 6, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Was in the area yesterday, still no permanent signs, just banners, the big one is showing some wear. Surprised they have not invested in signage yet, it has been a year or so since the spin-off from AMC. Seemed very busy for 4PM on one of our first decent weather Saturdays.

Rstewart commented about Shannon 8 on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Rivest266, thank you for all of your research and clippings concerning the Atlanta area theaters!

Rstewart commented about Lefont Toco Hills Theatre on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Was operated by an independent and either the recorded telephone greeting or the ads in the AJC mentioned “The Green Room” like it was the circuit’s name. As best as I can recall this was immediately before Lefont gave it a go. The only time I visited it during that operators time I took my kids to see The Flintstones, so that puts it around 94.

Rstewart commented about Holcomb Woods 6 Cinema on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Yes, EFW had a brief run here. Parts of their leadership seem to have touched just about every closed theater in the area at some point.

Rstewart commented about AMC Franklin 3 on Apr 16, 2018 at 2:23 am

Showing in one advertisement as “Wayne Theaters” in March of 82.

Rstewart commented about Buford Highway Twin Cinema on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:31 am

“touch of country in the city, Doraville, it ain’t much but it’s home”

Rstewart commented about AMC Mountainside 10 on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:51 pm

We drove down 22 just this past Saturday and saw this location for the first time in quite a while. Now fully signed in AMC branding but will always look like a Loews from that era.

Rstewart commented about AMC Classic Allentown 16 on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:47 pm

True, Center Valley is much nicer. Carmike certainly built a bunch along the lines of the Allentown location all over the country. I think that was a holdover from the Martin days, when they were Martin they had the same twin floor plan all over the south. I was never a huge AMC fan but Carmike really slipped into a “build it then run it into the ground” kind of operation.

Rstewart commented about Springs Cinema & Taphouse on Jan 8, 2018 at 11:06 pm

An article I found said that the manager, the great Bill Tush, will continue in his roll. If you don’t remember his show “TUSH” or his time on the Superstation go to youtube, you won’t regret it!

Rstewart commented about AMC Classic Allentown 16 on Dec 20, 2017 at 12:14 am

Visited yesterday and it is unchanged from the Carmike days with the exception of some AMC logo stuff posted here and there(with plenty of Carmike still visible). Nothing special except dim projection. In desperate need of renovation, but I don’t expect to see AMC dump much in to it. Terrible location, the boys from Columbus must have agreed to the location from looking at a picture! Wish the Newvisions had not been sold out…

Rstewart commented about NCG Snellville Cinemas on Sep 7, 2017 at 11:53 pm

Looks just like Regal/Storey’s Delk 10. Seems like Storey was the last of the bigger local operators when they sold out to Regal, I never visited this location but the Delk was nice for a build of that era.

Rstewart commented about Movies At Polo on Sep 5, 2017 at 1:25 am

Eastern Federal was originally the H.B. Misielmann Company. They had theaters in NC, SC, GA and FL. They also owned American Theater Supply which supplied all of their theaters with a number of supplies. A previous poster was correct, while they were in the theater business it was often run like a sideline. They were big on the property end of things, they owned quite a few locations out right as well as the shopping centers that they were attached to. They also like to do ground leases in locations where they did not control the whole shopping center.

Rstewart commented about Tilghman Square 8 on Sep 5, 2017 at 1:09 am

Was in the area yesterday, still sports the AMC signage.

Rstewart
Rstewart commented about City Center 15: Cinema de Lux on Dec 4, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Oh, I knew immediately where the bad back came from! Never knew a projectionist that didn’t have some wear and tear from film handling. From running arcs in the middle of summer in a hellishly hot, cramped DI booth to hauling prints to unreachable levels, it was always fun, but never easy. Now, convince the State in Easton PA that there are qualified projectionists out there so they will start a series of films. I’m told that is the reason that they won’t/don’t offer a film series. Good Holidays to you as well!

Rstewart
Rstewart commented about City Center 15: Cinema de Lux on Dec 4, 2016 at 1:52 pm

markp, I’m so glad to see you responded to hdtv267’s insensitive post. I stewed all last night after seeing it and intended to post something today about it. I’m going to guess he has never moved a print or carried film cans up steep steps, ladders and all of the other tortures that theater designers had devised. My guess is his heavy lifting involved a 55" Samsung…certainly never 3 or 4 prints into his car, then across the parking lot and up to he booth!

Rstewart commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Nov 17, 2016 at 12:01 am

Am I the only one here that looks at these N. NJ comments just to see if the relentless posting and counter-posting is still going on? Somebody here just needs to give it up!