Comments from Tp

Tp commented about Regal Theater on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:28 pm

6I was told new owner bought it in auction at Court House for back taxes. Rumor has it there fixing it up to open back as a tavern.

Tp commented about Parkview Drive-In on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I have solved the address debate the actual address was 1206 Alabama. The street Parkview was a street that ran along side of Alabama with about only 8-10 ft separation between the 2 streets. The Mailbox for mail delivery was located on Parkview Street this address of 1526 Parkview was only used for Mail delivery and Newspaper Adds.

Tp commented about Cooke Brothers Drive-In on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:17 pm

For SALE by Coldwell Bankers at COLDWELLBANKER GENERAL.COM LISTEF ON THIS date 7 August 2015 for $585.000.

Tp commented about North Twin Drive-In on Jun 1, 2015 at 1:35 am

I know the Screens were still up on 4 April 1995 the next day I left for Osan AB South Korea

Tp commented about Regal Theater on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:17 am

last owned by a Rudy Penzeno

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Joe I went to a Facebook site called St Joseph Mo Past, Present and Future asking anyone who remembers anything about the King Theater. So keep checking with site for added responses.

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:10 am

Joe you could be right but I talked to my dad who went to several movies at the King Theater. He told me it was torn down to complete the East side intersection of King Hill + Alabama, that it use to be a T type intersection and reduce the amount of traffic. If you see the road to the right of Darcis School of Dance that for a long time was the road for people to take to the East until the city made the east side portion of King Hill and Alabama intersection. The King was located to the North and left side right next to Darcis School of Dance.

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Joe I will check the 1920’s city directory next time I’M in St Joe to see if another business was at this address before it became the Valley Theater.
But like I said I have a 94 year old lady who is still a live telling me it was the Valley Theater.
St Joe has a lot of old buildings in this town.

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 20, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Joe the Valley Theater is on the web site called St Joseph Mo Memory Lane. Next time I’M in St Joe Library ILL check the City Directory for that address in 1920’s city directory. But like I said the Darcis School of dance building first appeared in 1939 city directory and it was not listed in 1938 city directory or earlier

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 20, 2014 at 12:20 am

The King Theater was actually listed in the 1941 City Directory the exact date unknown at this time

Tp commented about Plaza Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 3:32 pm

First appeared in the 1916 St Joseph Mo City Directory as the Olive Theater. The exact date for it’s Grand Opening is still unknown at this time.

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:39 am

Joe now I know Darci’s School of dance building looks as if it could have been a Theater building during the time period of say the 1940,s or older. Now this is what my research on this building. About 1930 there was another Theater building called the Valley Theater I think last year was open 1935 the address was 6121 King Hill Ave the 1936,37,38 City Directory has it as being vacant and also during this time period the address for 6119 King Hill Ave was not even listed which current address of Darci’s School of Dance. Then in 1939 City Directory the address for 6119 was listed as Weiners Department Store there is a picture of it at St Joseph Mo Memory lane the first time for 6119 listing and also the address for the Valley Theater of 6121 King Hill Ave was no longer listed I have trying to find out if nthis was just a misprint in the City Directory at that time that no one has ever caught or if building was tore down and new building was built being 6119 King Hill Ave. Little over a year ago I stoped by there and ask Darci if she knew when the building was built and she didn’t know but she said her dad had the papers on the building and how old it was. But I have not talked to him as of yet. So if this building was built before 1939 then it was in deed the Valley Theater. Now I have talked with an Elderly lady that I have known since I was born who is actually 94 Yrs old she did tell me it was the Valley Theater but I actually have no other proof at this time and yes I do believe4 it was the Valley Theater

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:09 am

Joe I’m sorry to tell you this building was never the King Theater if you go to St Joseph Mo Memory lane you will see the address as being 6115 King Hill Ave, if you go to King Hill Ave section of same web site you will see that Darcis School of dance as being 6119 King Hill Ave. For years as little kid growing up in St Joseph Mo I actually thought the same thing that it was the King Theater. In August 1969 my family moved from Kansas City Mo to St Joseph Mo the King Theater building was not even there during that time. However my research has found out the King Theater was listed in 1969 St Joseph Mo City Directory AS BEING VACANT at downtown Library. The 1970 City Directory the address for the King Theater was no longer listed. What I found out over the years was that the building was torn down this had to of happen prior to August 1969 since it wasn’t there at that time. I have been looking at old newspaper during this time for any articles about it being torn down. The city did it to put in the intersection of King Hill + Alabama the East side of This intersection was where this Theater was located at.

Tp commented about King Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:49 am

Chris and Joe The Great Plains Grand Theater Grand Opening was on 7 April 1940 it was only open for 17 days. It holds the record in St Joseph Mo of having the shortest life span as movie house and possibly in the State of Mo

Tp commented about Trail Theatre on Sep 27, 2014 at 3:47 pm

200 Theater seats will be redone and put back in.

Tp commented about Trail Theatre on Sep 27, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Just posted on Facebook At St Joseph Mo Past, Present and Future under Trail Theater Update. The Trail is to reopen sometime during the month of April 2015 THE EXACT DATE WAS NOT GIVEN. 200 OF THEATERARE TO BE REDONE AND PLACED BACK INTO THEATER.

Tp commented about Trail Theatre on Jul 4, 2014 at 11:34 am

I checked micro film at local Library no adds in Jan 2010 newspapers so I decided to check Dec 2009 newspapers and again no adds which means it closed before Dec 2009.

Tp commented about Uptown Theatre on May 19, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Sorry the above date is in correct newspaper add says Grand Opening date was Wednesday 22January1941 the owner was Cassil’s say person who owned Rialto Theater

Tp commented about Cooke Brothers Drive-In on May 5, 2014 at 12:11 am

I was really hoping this would open up again with what just happened to the Plaza 8 theaters closing because screen land did not want to convert from film to digital there is now only one open theater in town the Hollywood with nooooo competition.

Tp commented about Cooke Brothers Drive-In on May 5, 2014 at 12:07 am

Steve from what I know it was part management like not cutting the grass. But it was mostly the owners fighting over it. I was told by one employee the current owner was a doctor from Montana who wanted to see a return on his investment before putting up- 160 grand to convert to digital. But I went to a few movies in 2013 and the place was packed so it was a gold mine I really believe.

Tp commented about Cooke Brothers Drive-In on May 2, 2014 at 3:40 am

rlycooke check with Bills and Bagby theaters they just bought the I-70-Drive In and Twin Drive-In Theater in Kansas city Mo . The deadline for changing from film to digital is Dec2014 time is running out if they hadn’t of bought them they were going to go dark

Tp commented about Fire remains of Skyark on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:43 am

Firemen looking at the damage

Tp commented about Fire at Skylark pg2 on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:37 am

Newspaper article on fire at Skylark

Tp commented about Fire at Skylark on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:30 am

Fire happened on Sunday 11 July 1982

Tp commented about Parkview Drive-In on Oct 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I think you ment Parkview not Parkwood the urrent address is 1206 Alabama it became this in 1990. Before 1990 it was 1526 parkview at least from 1952-1989