Comments from trailerjoh

trailerjoh commented about Fox Theater on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:57 am

To Scott, yes, they kept part of the building. Not sure how much because of the added features. See this link. http://www.slackerwood.com/node/3877

trailerjoh commented about Edna Theatre on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Still seems to be up in the air. The guy that owns it now has plans but many other irons in the fire. Might be more of a live event center in the future. But, who knows?

trailerjoh commented about Arbor 8 Cinema on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:40 pm

The street address is for the shopping center but the theater actually faces at 10151 Old Jollyville Rd. according to the map.

trailerjoh commented about Arbor 8 Cinema on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Originally the General Cinema Corp. Great Hills 8 which closed in the fall of 2000. It opened in July of 1989.

trailerjoh commented about Joy Drive-In on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Above location photo in this neighborhood is north of the area where the theater was. This is the entrance to the drive in. You can see the old marquee in the distance. https://www.google.com/maps?ll=31.092445,-97.925922&spn=0.00369,0.003449&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=31.092445,-97.925922&panoid=LqWpqbteSj6CnfJO9nu2Uw&cbp=12,121.7,,0,7.84

trailerjoh commented about Joy Drive-In on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Looks like the tower and concession/booth/house is still there as seen on Google. (Jan 7 ‘14) https://www.google.com/maps?ll=31.090613,-97.921633&spn=0.001845,0.001725&t=h&z=19

trailerjoh commented about Joy's Cinema City 6 on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm

As I recall, there were 3 theaters in a row on the right side of the building as you faced it in front. There was a central larger screen and 2 on the left side of the building. The building was pretty odd looking. It looked as if there were 4 inside theaters and then 2 more added later.

trailerjoh commented about Joy's Cinema City 6 on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm

My friend and I visited the complex back in May of 1999. The back door of the drive in booth was open and we looked around. Vandals had pretty much destroyed what they could up stairs and downstairs in the main lobby/theater area. It was sickening to see this. So much so I didn’t even think of taking photos inside. As you can almost see, the Drive in screens had been disused for so long that pine trees had grown up in the lot and vines were growing across the screens. The projectors in part of the booth where there was room were turned over. Very sad end to a useful theater no doubt.

I’ve posted a few outside photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12335678@N00/sets/72157639536196865/

trailerjoh commented about Bantex Theatre on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm

This is the first picture I’ve seen of this theater. I wonder if it burned? The lot is empty except for the foundation of the theater through the mid 80’s.

trailerjoh commented about Canyon Theatre on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm

The above photo was taken circa Aug 1999. Wish I could have seen the inside.

trailerjoh commented about State Theater on Oct 11, 2013 at 8:45 pm

To Pawnshop, it is both a movie theater and live theater now. We have a roll down screen and can do digital presentations there now. The blade out front has been restored and turned back on in the first week of Oct. 2013. New neon tubes, wiring and cleaned up and polished face of the blade.

trailerjoh commented about Southwood Theatre on Oct 11, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Pulled some booth shifts here in the early to mid 70’s. It was a great booth. Almost as good as the Americana. Trans-Texas was good to work for and had some good friends there.

trailerjoh commented about Burnet Drive-In on Oct 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm

ndeed, it is BURNET with one “T”. Here is a better copy of my photo submitted by Mr. Cohen. See this link.

Photo was taken in the early 70’s before closure. I showed some films there as a relief operator in the early 70'. Nice drive in. There are other photos of the theater on either side of the above link.

trailerjoh commented about Varsity Theater on Sep 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm

To rdk, it may have played older films towards the end and also showed repertory films but, up until the mid 70’s, they did show first run. The first film I projected there was new to Austin. STRAW DOGS then THE LAST PICTURE SHOW the next day. Showed and saw a lot of first run films there.

John

trailerjoh commented about Howard Theatre on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm

The Howard in Taylor went digital both upstairs and down. This happened the weekend following the day I took the pix on June 19, 2003. Here’s a few photos of the booths and equipment and of the auditoriums.

trailerjoh commented about Edna Theatre on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

That is true. The guy that has it now said they were operational after all these years. When I was there, they turned over very smoothly. Would have loved to have seen the place in it’s prime.

trailerjoh commented about Edna Theatre on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I have a few interior shots taken a few years ago.

trailerjoh commented about Varsity Theater on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Found some negatives I took in the 80’s of the mural while it was sorta new. The photo at the top of this page was the mural while Tower Records was in the building. The fire escape was taken down and a window was cut into the south corner of the building. There are 4 detail photos at my link.

trailerjoh commented about Lynn Theatre on Jan 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Great! Good news for the community.

trailerjoh commented about Queen Theater on Jun 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

To sepiatone, if you get to Austin this summer before Aug.17, the Austin History Center has an excellent display set up with photos and artifacts from the earliest Austin movie theaters through the 1970’s . http://www.austinlibrary.com/ahc/

trailerjoh commented about Acme Theatre on Oct 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Here’s a photo I took of the Wayne when I was stationed at SJAFB 69-70. http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=65075

trailerjoh
trailerjoh commented about Eastgate Cinema Twin Theatres on Oct 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I was stationed at SJAFB 69-70. Was able to work a few shifts at this theater when it was a single screen. It was a nice theater with mag/stereo at the time. They showed WOODSTOCK here and my room mate and I stayed here all day to watch it. I had to leave early evening to pull a booth shift on base at the base theater then came back later to pick up my room mate.

trailerjoh commented about Ganado Cinema on Feb 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Also, a notice in the Victoria Advocate:

trailerjoh commented about Ganado Cinema on Feb 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

The Ganado now has digital projection as of this weekend. Here is a current photo. Be sure to eat at the Ganado Cafe next door. You won’t be disappointed.

trailerjoh commented about Rialto Theater on Feb 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Here’s a newspaper article about the Three Rivers Rialto.