118 West Harrison,
1 person favorited this theater
Built in 1901 of brick and native stone it was originally the home to Patterson Furniture and a funeral parlor. In 1919 it was purchased by George Pollard and converted to a vaudeville house.
In 1926 Mr. Pollard leased the building to A.R. Powell who played vaudeville and silent films until 1929. In 1929 with the coming of talkies Mr. Powell remodeled the building adding a large stage, hand painted wall murals, equipped the theatre for sound pictures, and put seating in for 800. At this time it was given the new name Melba.
The Powell family operated the theatre until 1986. Then in 1986 it went through a $620,000 renovation enlarging the stage area, preserving and restoring the wall murals, installed new seats, a new stage hoist system and redoing the lobby and wrought iron chandeliers.
The Pollard Co. took over in 1987 and finished the restoration. It went back to its original name of the Pollard Theatre. It is now the home of the Pollard Co. and the home of live performances.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater