5715-5717 6th Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
This was a very popular storefront photoplay theatre on Main Street (now 6th Avenue), operated by well-known Kenoshan Charles Pacini who had a chain of small theatres in Kenosha including the Lincoln Theatre and Butterfly Theatre. The Majestic Theatre was his flagship theatre and the most prominent Main street showplace until the Orpheum Theatre (II) opened one block south on March 14, 1922. The Majestic Theatre seated perhaps 300.
Interior photographs have not surfaced but there are a few photos of the exterior at the time of a Charlie Chaplin program, showing heavy use of posters and other promotional materials. Kenoshans still associate the Majestic Theatre with the mysterious and still-unsolved murder of exhibitor Charles Pacini, the story of which rivalled any of the drama ever seen on his theatre screens. In September 1923, the Majestic Theatre premiered the locally-produced itinerant film “The Belle of Kenosha”.
In 1927, facing competition from the new Kenosha Theatre, the Majestic Theatre was converted to retail space, and when the building was demolished in the mid-1960’s for a new Walgreen’s store (still there in 2005), it was housing the Badger Paint and Hardware, with most of the original facade still intact.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater