Birmingham Road & Holland Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon was built for and operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres’s Ltd chain, the 42nd to be built for the circuit. It was designed by Harry Weedon assisted by architect J. Cecil Clavering of the Harry Weeden Partnership.
It opened on 18th April 1936 with Jessie Matthews in “First a Girl”. The cinema is located just outside the town centre on a prominent corner position of the main Birmingham Road at Maney Corner and Holland Road, Maney.
Considered to be one of the best designed Odeon Theatre’s (Odeon Harrogate is an almost exact copy), the low corner entrance is dominated by a high ‘fin’ tower on the left which originally had the word ‘Cinema’ on top. Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 1,600; 1,028 in the stalls and 572 in the balcony. A sleek Art Deco style of decoration was within the auditorium that was illuminated by concealed lighting set into troughs across the ceiling.
It was one of the first of the original Odeon’s to be tripled and became a three-screen cinema from 9th April 1972. The balcony was kept intact with a seating capacity slight increased to 591, while two mini cinemas were created in the rear stalls under the balcony which each seated 132. In 1987 a fourth screen seating 330 was added in the former front stalls area.
The Odeon Sutton Coldfield was one of several Odeons taken over by the Irish-based Ward-Anderson Cinemas in March 2006. Trading under the Empire Cinemas name, it has been renamed the Empire Cinema. Seating capacities in the screens are now; 1. 592, 2. 135, 3. 100 and 4. 329.
On 18th November 1998, the then Odeon Cinema was designated a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater