794 Green Lanes,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Winchmore Hill district of north London, at the corner of Green Lanes and Ford’s Grove. The Capitol Cinema opened on 26th December 1929 and was operated by Lou Morris. Designed in an Art Deco style by noted cinema architect Robert Cromie it had seating in stalls and circle levels. It was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/8Rank theatre organ which was opened by Edgar Peto. Other facilities included a cafe and a large car park.
From December 1930 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) and was closed for a month in July 1936 for renovation. ABC continued to operate it throughout its life and it was closed 22nd February 1958, only to re-open again on 11th May 1958 (the Compton organ was removed from the building at this time and was broken up for spares). This was a short- lived reprieve as it closed forever on 5th December 1959 with Anton Diffring in “The Man Who Could Cheat Death” and Mylene Demongeot in “The Evil That is Eve” (“Une manche et la belle”). The Capitol Cinema was demolished in 1960 and a Government office block named Capitol House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater