678 High Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Picture House opened pre-1913 and had a seating capacity given as 750. The operators in the early years were R.C. Buchanan & Co. By 1913 it had been re-named Tottenham Pavilion. By 1918 it was operated by Messrs A.D. Dubowski and M. Michaels with a seating capacity given as 710.
In 1937 it was purchased by Davies Cinemas Ltd. and they employed the architects Howes & Jackman to re-design the building, and they gave it a new stream-line Art Deco facade. The old auditorium was demolished, apart from one wall, and a new interior was built in the Art Deco style, designed by interior designers Eugene Mollo & Michael Egan of the firm Mollo & Egan. Although not a major job for them compared to other cinema decorative schemes they had carried out, they applied some plaque-like features to the side-walls. It re-opened in late-1938 as the Florida Cinema. Seating was provided for 529 in stalls and a small balcony.
The Florida Cinema was closed on 15th May 1971 with Sid James in “Carry on Camping” and Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise in “That Riviera Touch”. The building was demolished and a small office and retail building was built on the site. By 2008, that too had been demolished and TFC supermarket has been built on an extension of the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater