6102 Havelock Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: New Lyric Theatre, Former Lyric Theatre, Havelock Theatre
The New Lyric Theatre opened February 17, 1928 with Marie Prevost in “The Rush Hour”. On August 5, 1936 it was briefly renamed Former Lyric Theatre. It was renamed Havelock Theatre and closed on November 28, 1936 to be refurbished. The former Joyo Theatre across the street (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) was closed on January 18, 1937 as the former Havelock theatre reopened as the Joyo Theatre on January 20, 1937 with Robert Cummings in “Three Cheers for Love”.
Bought in 1998 by Dwight F. Carter, this old theatre hosts a variety of events; including movies (both old and new), live bands, birthday parties, school matinees, Nebraska Cornhusker football games, church services, and live play performances.
Local residents Dwight Carter, Jim Salber, Kendra Oliver, Dave Oliver, and Ron Sanders all volunteer their time to restore the Joyo Theatre to its former glory. The group was able to save many of the theatre’s original seats, which, despite their age, are still able to recline.
The independent film “The Truth About Tully” filmed five scenes at the Joyo Theatre. Although only two were used in the final cut of the film, it was still great for those that know the Joyo Theatre to see such a familiar sight on the silver screen. Several student films have also used the Joyo Theatre as a location.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.