Odeon South Harrow
337 Northolt Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Built for and operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. circuit, the Odeon South Harrow opened on 4th September 1933 with Evelyn Laye in “Waltz Time”.
It was the first Odeon Theatre to be built and opened in the London area and the first of several in the locality to by designed by Harrow based architect Arthur Percival Starkey. This was also the first Odeon to have what was to become the distinctive ‘Odeon style’ exterior which received a cladding in cream faiance tiles. The building was low and long, with a central entrance set back from the wings on each side that contained shops and a cafe.
Inside the auditorium (which ran parallel to the street) the seating was arranged in a semi-stadium style with no overhang on the balcony. There were 718 seats in the stalls and the balcony seated 279. Lighting was via a central laylight fixture in the ceiling.
The Odeon South Harrow led an uneventful life and was closed on 12th February 1972 with Richard Harris in “Cromwell”. The auditorium, foyer area and central entrance were demolished and a block of flats for the elderly named Duncan House was built on the site. The two wings of shop units were retained and are still to be seen today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater