80 Anzac Highway,
3 people favorited this theater
Designed with the latest ideas in cinema construction, the Roxy Theatre in the Adelaide suburb of Everard Park, was built at a cost of Â£10,000 ($AUD20,000) with a seating capacity of just over 1,000. The theatre opened on Wednesday October 7, 1937 with MGM’s “Piccadilly Jim” starring Robert Montgomery. The Roxy Theatre had two sets of curtains, the front being gold and hand-cranked from the projection box, and a motorised set of lettuce-green in front of the screen. As one account of the era noted ‘The interior had a gay color scheme harmonising in a tasteful way. Concealed lights in the walls, of an unusual design, were supplemented by Philinea architectural lighting equipment’. The facade was in Art Deco style, severely straight, gaining from its long flowing lines and gracefully curved ornamental ironwork. In the centre of the facade was the ‘Roxy’ name neon-tower light, the first sky sign to be erected without the use of the customary cumbersome supports.
When TV arrived in Adelaide in 1959, the Roxy Theatre became another casualty and closed on Saturday November 25, 1961. A few months later it was operating as a supermarket, with the name of the grocer covering the Roxy tower. A false ceiling was fitted above the former stalls, blocking off the stage and the dress circle. On October 17, 1985 the imposing Art Deco style theatre was gutted by fire. At the time it was being used as a carpet showroom. In 1987 the heritage listed Art Deco style facade was restored, and a new Roxy sign was erected. It was the name of a new business in the building; ‘Roxy Video’. In 1990, it changed its name to Movieland and is still operating there in 2011 as a Blockbuster store, which closed in early-2014. By 2018 it was operating as a dance studio and real estate agency.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater