10-16 The Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regal Cinema opened on 2nd July 1934 with Jessie Matthews in “Evergreen”. The opening was attended by actor Clifford Mollinson and the architect Andrew Mather. It was built for an independent company known as Minehead Entertainments Ltd. which was operated by the Jones family.
The Regal Cinema is a splendid building that had an original seating capacity of 1,250 in stalls and circle levels. The front of the building is in red brick with stone dressings and is dominated a large fin tower. It also included a large ballroom which was opened by Debroy Somers and his Band and a cafe. The stage was used for occasional variety shows and was 27 feet deep. The proscenium opening was 48 feet wide.
In February 1981 the stalls seating area was converted into a supermarket. The circle continued in film use with occasional live stage shows until 27th October 1994 when it was closed.
Since then it has re-opened and is now operated by the Minehead Amateur Theatrical Association who stage productions. Occasional film shows are held and are presented by the Regal Film Society.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater