No one has favorited this theater yet
Situated on the edge of the town centre the Roxy Cinema is a glorious survivor from June 1937, when it opened as a cine-variety theatre, with a 30 feet wide proscenium, a fully equipped stage and five dressing rooms.
Built for and operated by the James Brennan Theatres Ltd. chain. Originally seating 1,224, the auditorium was split horizontally in 1975, with bingo in the stalls and the cinema in the circle, but retaining the original atmosphere and Art Deco style fittings of the period. This does not however extend to the comfort level and technical equipment – new seats, projection and sound systems have recently been installed. The Roxy Cinema also has a new 43 foot (in Cinemascope) screen, which is the largest in Cumbria.
It is well run by the Northern Morris Circuit. There is an enthusiastic local film club, Film Club at the Roxy, which organizes a regular series of non-commercial films, which are screened at the Roxy Cinema for one night. Well worth a visit!
The bingo club in the former stalls closed in August 2007 and this part of the building was converted into a carpet showroom. The Roxy Cinema continues unaffected.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater