Teatro Dulcina & Cine Orly
Rua Alcindo Guanabara, 17,
Rio de Janeiro
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Cinelandia district in the centre of Rio in the same block, and around the corner from the massive Cine Rex. This Art Deco style building has the name ‘Regina’ on its facade over the entrance. It opened as the Teatro Regina on 5th December 1935 with the play “La Banque Nemo” (The Great Banker). On top of the 20-storey high facade is an Art Deco style ‘crows nest’ platform feature, which due to the narrow street, cannot be seen from street level.
The Teatro Regina was badly damaged by a fire on 2nd July 1944. It was completely refurbished and re-opened with seating provided for 568 in orchestra and two balcony levels. In July 1946, it was re-named Teatro Dulcina. It was renovated in 1981 to the plans of architect George Robson Goncalves, but didn’t reopen until March 1984. It was closed in 2001.
The Teatro Dulcina was reopened as a live theatre on 2nd August 2011 after a complete refurbishment.
In recent years a former galley space on the right side of the ground floor of the building has operated as the Cine Orly, which screens gay male adult films to an appreciative audience.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater