52 Church Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Broadway Theatre was the bigest luxury cine/variety theatre to be built in Eccles and designed by architect Joseph Gomersall — one half of the pair of famous British cinema architects Drury & Gomersall. There was no expense spared for the Broadway Theatre which was built for the J.F. Emery Circuit at the cost of £70,000 a fair amount in 1932. It was equipped with a Christie 3Manual theatre organ.
The theatre was principally used for movies but was capable of taking touring theatrical productions and accomodating local theatrical groups and variety acts.
Amongst the famous names that appeared on its stage was George Formby.
In 1935, the cinema changed ownership to the little known Mancunian circuit. It changed hands once more in 1936 and became part of Union Cinemas. The final cinema circuit to own the Broadway was the ABC group (Associated British Cinemas)
The cinema closed on March 13th, 1974 and the last two films shown were "Big Boss" and "Soon the Darkness" (ironic).
The Broadway was sold to Kwik-Save Supermarkets in 1975.
It was finally demolished in 2001 to make way for an access road and carpark for the new Morrisons Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater