62-68 Winterstoke Road, Ashton,
1 person favorited this theater
The Ambassador Cinema opened on 7th December 1936. It was built by the independent circuit London and Southern Cinemas and architect F.C. Michell took over and completed an already on-going scheme. Located on the corner of Winterstoke Road and Luckwell Road, Ashton, Bedminster; a south-west suburb of Bristol.
The exterior was dominated by a large round tower feature. Inside the auditorium seating was on a stadium design (with no overhanging balcony) that had a raised section at the rear. There were 808 seats in the front section and 441 in the raised rear section. The proscenium opening was 42 feet wide, but there were no stage facilities.
London and Southern Cinemas were taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain in July 1937 but it retained the Ambassador name until 27th January 1947 when it was re-named Odeon.
The Rank Organisation closed the Odeon on 22nd July 1961. It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club which operated until closing in 1995.
The building was then converted into a tyre & exhaust centre in the front section of the auditorium and a childrens play centre named Alphabet Zoo in the foyer and rear auditorium section.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater