32-36 Bedford Road, Walton,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Bedford Hall Cinema opened in December 1910 and was a project of the independent exhibitor John F. Wood (Bedford Cinemas Ltd.). The architect is unknown, but it is believed to be possibly the work of T. Taliesin Rees. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It was located in the Walton district of Liverpool.
From March 1928 it was taken over by General Theatre Corporation (GTC) and from May 1928 they were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres and the name was changed to Bedford Cinema. In around 1930 a new spacious foyer was added to the left-hand side of the building and this was decorated in the then fashionable Art Deco style to the plans of architect A. Ernest Shennan.
The Bedford Cinema was closed on 23rd May 1959 with Jerry Lewis in "The Geisha Boy" and Jackie Loughery in "The Hot Angel". The building was sold and became a furniture salesroom and warehouse which remained in operation until recently. With this use the interior has remained remarkably intact.
In 2007, the landlord revoked the lease for non-payment of rent and the building came under threat of demolition for a block of residential flats to be built on the site. The Cinema Theatre Association put forward an application to English Heritage to designate Listed Building status, but sadly this was refused. The Bedford Cinema was demolished in May 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater