7 Station Road West,
2 people favorited this theater
Everyman Cinema Club (Official)
Operated by: Everyman Media Group
Previously operated by: Screen Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Plaza Cinema, Screen Oxted
News About This Theater
- Oct 10, 2008 — Leyland Lorry Star at Oxted Cinema
The Plaza Cinema opened in 1929 with John Boles in "The Desert Song". The cinema is designed in a Mock Tudor style, both externally with its black & white half-timbered facade and internally, where there is an oak beamed ceiling. The original seating capacity was for 460 and the proscenium was 28 feet wide.
In 1936 a balcony was added, increasing the seating capacity to 662. When CinemaScope was fitted in the mid-1950’s, the screen was brought forward of the original proscenium.
It was always independently operated, until mid-2001, when the owner died and it was purchased by a property developer and leased to the Mainline Pictures chain and they re-named it Screen Oxted. A licenced bar was opened in May 2001, located in former shop premises which adjoined the entrance. In 2008, Mainline Pictures were taken over by the Everyman Media Group and re-named Everyman Oxted.
It was closed in July 2017 to be converted into a 3-screen cinema, with a restaurant & enlarged bar. It re-opened on 13th December 2017 and screen 1 has 140 seats, screen 2 has 60 seats and screen 3 has 48 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.