Thornton Road, Girlington,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Victoria Picture Palace designed by William Watson, opened October 19, 1914 with 1,000 seats and it also had a billiard hall attached. Around 1936 onwards, it was known as the Victoria Cinema.
By 1951 the seating had been reduced to 892. In March of 1955 the Victoria was damaged by fire. In May of 1955 the Victoria Cinema was ready to be reopened after new seats and carpet were installed. A CinemaScope screen was also installed and seating was reduced again to 780.
The Victoria Cinema closed December 16, 1961. The last movie shown was "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". In 1962 the building was converted into what was the first of many supermarkets in the William Morrisons chain. After the supermarket moved to a purpose built building at another location, the former Victoria Cinema became a furniture discount warehouse, then had various retail use until it was demolished in 1982.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater