Toller Lane and Fairbank Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Heaton district of Bradford. The Coliseum Picture House opened in 1912 as a partial conversion of the large Coliseum Skating Rink which opened in 1909. Its original seating capacity was 1,250. At its opening it had a small stage area and a single set of curtains, which operated at least for a a while, by a hand crank. Sound came in 1929.
The cinema’s popularity peaked in the post World War II years, and the cinema had a number of owners, eventually becoming known as the Coliseum Cinema, showing less prestigious fare than the Elite Theatre next door (across Fairbank Road) which had the same owners.
The Coliseum Cinema was closed on 20th June 1959 with Audie Murphy in “The Gun Runners” and “Terror in a Texas Town”. The building was used by the Star Cinemas chain as a storage facility for cinema seats. It was demolished in 1966, though a rear wall remains. An automobile service centre was constructed on the site. This has since been demolished and the site is a vacant plot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater