Main Street Theater

337 Main Street,
Conway, SC 29526

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Main Street Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Holliday Theater opened in 1947 with 650 seats.

It now operates as a live theatre, named Main Street Theater.

Contributed by Ken McIntyre

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

CSWalczak on October 18, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Here’s an article about a fund raiser for the Main Street Theater. which confirms the information in he entries above. This theater’s entry indeed needs updating.

CSWalczak on October 18, 2009 at 11:12 pm

The correct current name should be the Main Street Theater. Theater of the Republic is the name of the community theater group which restored the theater and stages productions there.

DavidZornig on May 10, 2015 at 9:55 pm

1955 photo and copy added courtesy of Stacey Todd Coffee, via the Historic Horry County, SC Facebook page.

The Holliday Theatre, at 335 Main Street, Conway. The first movie shown at the Holliday Theatre when it opened its doors on October 1, 1947, was “The Foxes of Harrow” with Rex Harrison and Maureen O’Hara.

It is believed to have been built by Joseph W. Holliday and John Monroe J. Holliday of Galivants Ferry as a memorial to their father, George J. Holliday. It had 650 seats, a “cry” room for mothers with small children, and certain seats were said to be larger than others to accommodate more robust patrons.

The Holliday Theatre abruptly closed in 1948. It was reopened January 1, 1952, closed December 31, 1953, reopened in September, 1954, and closed for a ten year period in August, 1955. It then reopened for eleven months as a second-run theatre. In 1965, the theatre was completely renovated. It closed its doors in August 1986. The final offering was “Top Gun” with Tom Cruise. After it closed, it was used as a church until January 1990, when it was destroyed by fire.

It has since been rebuilt as the Main Street Theatre, home of the reportory group, Theatre of the Republic.

DavidZornig on May 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Photo added credit South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Link also shows address as 335, not 337.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater