Sodra Tullgatan 3,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally at this address was the Malmo Biograf Teater, which opened on 17th September 1907. It was a small room, with long wooden benches for seating and painted scenes on the walls. It operated until 30th September 1912 and from 1st October 1912 it was re-named Stora Biografteatern.
It was re-built in 1913 to the designs of architect August Lindberg, re-opening on 20th December 1913 as the Metropol Konsert & Kinopalats, suitable for concerts and film shows. There were 658 seats; 466 in the orchestra and 192 in the balcony.
The Metropol was renovated in 1933 and again in 1943, when the seating was slightly reduced to 620; 430 in the orchestra and 190 in the balcony and the cinema was given a modern style. Cinemascope was installed in 1956, which altered the proscenium. Further modernisation was carried out by architect Lennart Clemens in 1974 for the operators Svensks Filmindustri(SF).
In March 1988, it was taken over by the Sandrews group, closing on 23rd June 1988 for conversion into a triple screen cinema. The three screens had seating for 134, 48 and 108 and re-opened on 25th November 1988.
The Metropol was closed on 28th January 2001 with "O Brother Where Art Thou?", "Dancer in the Dark" and "Remember the Titans". It was converted into a bookshop, which retained the central dome in the ceiling and some details on the side walls at what would have been balcony level. It is located directly across the street from the still currently (2008) operating Royal Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater