247-249 Roundhay Road,
3 people favorited this theater
An Art Moderne style cinema situated at an important junction near the suburb of Roundhay to the north-east of the city centre. The Clock Cinema was built for West Leeds Entertainments and opened on November 21, 1938 with Dorothy Lamour in “The Hurricane” and Sybil Jason in “The Littlest Diplomat”.
It was designed by Norman Fowler of Messrs Kitson, Parish, Ledgard and Pyman of Leeds and built by C.H.F. Lax & Co. As well as the large auditorium (1,130 stalls seats and 706 in the balcony) there was a spacious foyer, a cafe and a parade of shops. The first film was "The Hurricane" with Dorothy Lamour.
It closed on February 28, 1976 with Disney double-bill "Incredible Journey" and “Apple Dumpling Gang”. It became a bingo hall, last operated by Mecca Bingo when it closed in the mid-1980’s. The Clock Cinema was gutted internally, and transformed into a large electrical goods retailer on the ground floor and offices on two levels above.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater