38 Western Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Picture Playhouse was opened on 8th July 1921 with 800 seats. It was built adjacent to the Cinema de Luxe and was operated by Randolph E. Richards (the Cinema de Luxe was closed in February 1924 and became a garage).
In 1966, it was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain and was re-named Classic Cinema. Upon the retirement of Classic Cinemas chairman Eric Rhodes, he was ‘given’ the Classic Cinema to operate, and he re-named it Curzon Picture Playhouse. The building was twinned, with a bingo hall in the former stalls area and a small 300 seat cinema in the former circle. It was closed in June 1988.
Then came a period of openings and closings under different managements 1989-January 1991, May 1991-April 1994, February 1995-October 2004, when it finally closed as a cinema.
The theatre was last operated as the Redstack Playhouse which hosted films and live entertainment. The Redstack Playhouse closed in March of 2008. There were hopes in the local community that it could be re-opened by the Bexhill Community Playhouse group, but eventually the empty building was purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs in November 2014, who plan a December 2014 opening.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater