1605 Ivar Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Built by restaurant owner Yegishe Harout in 1951, the Ivar Theatre presented stage plays until 1971. Plays produced here include, “The Barrett’s of Wimpole Street”, “The Glass Menagerie”, “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and “The Pajama Game”. From 1971 it began showing adult films along with burlesque performances. Seating was provided for 350 in orchestra and balcony levels.
The theatre was home to the California Youth Theatre from late-2000 through the middle part of the decade, but that group has moved to another venue. The Ivar Theatre then presented stage plays and live music as the New Ivar Theatre. In 2012, the Ivar Theater is operated by the Los Angeles Film School as an active classroom space. It is currently not used or rented out as a theatre space.
At the rear section of the building, behind the stage, was a club named ‘The Sewers of Paris’, later by 1977 it was a gay bar named ‘Gaslight’, and in 1996 it was renamed ‘The Opium Den’. It became used as a green room for the theatre and for receptions.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater